cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ChrisM_X
Level III

JMP automation & missing registry key

I have a C# application that has some functions that run JMP automation. When the user starts the C# application, it checks to insure JMP is installed on the user’s system.  I had contacted JMP technical support on this issue on how to know if JMP is installed on a system.  The solution was to look for a registry key.

In C# code, I have a bool to check if JMP is installed:

bool jmpExists = Registry.ClassesRoot.OpenSubKey("TypeLib\\{DCD36DE0-78F8-11CF-9E68-0020AF24E9FE}\\1.0\\0\\win32", false) != null;

So far at least 2 PC (windows 10 and JMP 13 installed), don’t have this registry key, while 10 PCs do have the registry key.

On one PC with missing registry key, I tried to run JMP automation (ignoring missing registry key) and it failed to start on this PC. Next, I uninstalled JMP 13 and then reinstalled JMP 13 and after which time the registry key was present and JMP automation worked fine.

This is C# code to create an instance of JMP / automation

using System.Runtime.InteropServices;

JMP.Application myJMP = new JMP.Application();

But many of the users who may use my software have a lot of customization of JMP and the idea of uninstalling and reinstalling JMP is very undesirable! (Their JMP works just fine otherwise)

Any idea why this registry key is missing on some people’s computers? (windows 7 PC’s running JMP 13)

Any way of fixing this issue other than reinstalling JMP?  I am not sure if it is just a simple matter of coping the registry key to the computers that don’t have it?  Not exactly sure how to copy and install a registry key, if that is the solution.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: JMP automation & missing registry key

Resetting the file associations should reset that registry key.

File > Preferences > Windows Specific

Capture.PNGIf that does not work for some reason, you can create the registry key yourself in Regedit. 

Please note that your jmpExists variable actually means "is JMP installed AND can JMP be automated." 

Justin

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Resetting the file associations should reset that registry key.

File > Preferences > Windows Specific

Capture.PNGIf that does not work for some reason, you can create the registry key yourself in Regedit. 

Please note that your jmpExists variable actually means "is JMP installed AND can JMP be automated." 

Justin
ChrisM_X
Level III

Thank you, this worked!

If 32-bit JMP is installed on a 64-bit version, they key may appear in the Wow hive.  So, the key in question would be located at:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\WOW6432Node\TypeLib\{DCD36DE0-78F8-11CF-9E68-0020AF24E9FE}\1.0\0\win32

Brian Corcoran

JMP Development