cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
hogi
Level XI

JMP Query Builder - define the string to append?

Hi,

Is there a way to specify a user defined suffix when adding columns to the "included Columns" in JMP Query builder?

HolgerSp_0-1662035189411.png

The background:

I want to join several tables via JMP query builder.

All tables have the same content, but the values are from different measurements.

When I add the values of the second table, jmp detects that values with this name already exist in the list of "included columns" - and adds a " 2" for each of the column names.

For the next table, it adds a " 3" and so on - like it's the standard behaviour when columns with identical names are added to a table.

I would prefer to add user-defined suffixes like "_pre" for the first test and "_post" for the last test.

And perhaps "_intermediate" just in case that there is an intermediate test as well.

With the numbers, it gets confusing:
is " 2" the post-test - or is it the intermediate test, because there are also values with " 3"

workarounds:
- rename the columns via regex rename column addon

- create a script and replace the column names with the desired ones

But I hope there is a hidden option to specify the suffix directly in the Query Builder window

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Georg
Level VII

Re: JMP Query Builder - define the string to prepend?

Is it really a join you need? When you join tables with same column names, JMP defines the join over all columns that have the same name here, I think this would not work for you, you have to edit the join and e.g. delete the conditions for height and weight.

Perhaps you can do it in a different way, you can concatenate the tables with name "Pre" and "Post", and save the table name in the result table. After that you can split the columns you need to be in the same row. I think, that way you have more control on what happens. A join over several (JMP) tables tends to get quite complex.

Georg_0-1662034813284.png

Georg

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Georg
Level VII

Is it really a join you need? When you join tables with same column names, JMP defines the join over all columns that have the same name here, I think this would not work for you, you have to edit the join and e.g. delete the conditions for height and weight.

Perhaps you can do it in a different way, you can concatenate the tables with name "Pre" and "Post", and save the table name in the result table. After that you can split the columns you need to be in the same row. I think, that way you have more control on what happens. A join over several (JMP) tables tends to get quite complex.

Georg_0-1662034813284.png

Georg
hogi
Level XI

thanks, that's the nicest workaround up to now

Right, the desired merge pattern would look like the one below and not like the one that is suggested by jmp

HolgerSp_0-1662058155135.png