cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JMP Import CSV - column with only "NA" values.

Hello,

This was more of an observation, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm that this is indeed intended functionality.

I noticed that if I import a CSV into JMP and a column only contains "NA" for every value in all rows, the column shows up with all missing values.

On the contrary, if at least one row has a different string value than "NA", all of the "NA" valued rows appear as "NA" and not missing.

Importing a CSV with a column that has a single value for all rows other than "NA" does not turn the values all to missing, so I am thinking "NA" is something JMP checks for.

Has anyone noticed this before?

Thanks,

JP

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: JMP Import CSV - column with only "NA" values.

Yes, the code that attempts to guess the column's data type (character or numeric) has some heuristics based on consistency of missing value representation and special cases like NA and NaN .  If JMP guesses wrong, you can force the data type through the import wizard or through JSL.  If you use the same CSV file a lot, you could grab the source script and set the column types the way you want.  For very large CSV files, this could save a lot of time since JMP wouldn't need to read the file an extra time to figure out the column types.

Craige

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Craige_Hales
Super User

Yes, the code that attempts to guess the column's data type (character or numeric) has some heuristics based on consistency of missing value representation and special cases like NA and NaN .  If JMP guesses wrong, you can force the data type through the import wizard or through JSL.  If you use the same CSV file a lot, you could grab the source script and set the column types the way you want.  For very large CSV files, this could save a lot of time since JMP wouldn't need to read the file an extra time to figure out the column types.

Craige

Thank you, this helped.