cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JMP Behavior in Preference "Hide ODBC Connection Strings" randomly reenables

This is my first time posting in search of help. I am currently running JMP 17.1.0 and I cannot get the "Hide ODBC Connection Strings" in the preference to stay disabled. At seemingly random times it will reenables to an endless amount of frustration and lost work, needing to repull tables or salvage now useless queries. Recently it has been reactivating the moment I run a query, making all my data tables un-updatable. I and my colleagues use JMP to monitor and analysis live/fresh data and losing the ability to update tables with custom scripts and columns has costs hours of work, resulted in a great deal of frustration and has damaged what was a great product.

Is there some way to Permanently disable or remove this setting?

6 REPLIES 6
mmarchandTSI
Level V

Re: JMP Behavior in Preference "Hide ODBC Connection Strings" randomly reenables

This setting shouldn't change, unless someone changes it manually or it is changed in a script.

mmarchandTSI_0-1698864678707.png

A workaround could be to include this line in any query script:

Set Preference( "Hide ODBC Connection Strings"( 0 ) );

Re: JMP Behavior in Preference "Hide ODBC Connection Strings" randomly reenables

"This setting shouldn't change, unless someone changes it manually or it is changed in a script." I thought that too. I am using JMP on my Work laptop, and I don't share it with anyone. But it has been reseting on it's own. For example this morning on a JMP query I made ( I am using the GUI query builder and not a pure scripting query). I disabled the setting, double checked it was disabled, clicked "run query" and the setting was re-enabled. This happened 4 times in a row. Before today it's been randomly re-enabling once every 2 wks, it's become a part of my morning routine to check to see if it got turned back on. 

Is this setting that is only controlled locally? Can this be reset by the JMP server? 

mmarchandTSI
Level V

Sounds like a question for JMP support.

LoveDataViz7
Level III

@Name2AcessForum - Did you ever get any answers on this?  I am having the same issue.  I KNOW I confirmed this setting was off as soon as I got JMP 18 - it was the first thing I checked.  I've used it for weeks without any issues, and now the queries I created yesterday don't work.  I checked the setting and it was back on.  I looked back through other queries created in the last few weeks and it was only yesterday that the problem popped up.  It sounds like it only happens to some of us, so I'm hoping you found the magic.

@mmarchandTSI Thanks for the tip on the scripting preference piece.  Is there any way to include that type of preference in a query saved as a user-friendly .jmpquery format?  As far as I understand, I can't add any scripting there until AFTER the query runs.  I can put it in other scripts to help ensure the setting, but that only helps if I run those scripts before I create queries.  I create more queries than scripts, and I'm not usually the one running the scripts.  I did do some preference updates in a recent script, but more focused on appearance.  Would you expect using DSN-less connections in a script when I typically use DSN-based connections in a query to create any changes?  That is all I can think I did differently yesterday.  I can't seem to recreate the problem.

I will reach out to Tech Support also.

@TCLOVE I did not get an answer to this, I am not even sure if I ever got the chance to submit something to JMP or had our IT do it. I

have some saved queries where it changes the script almost predictably and others where it appears random. I have not seen any correlation between size of query or data source.
I took one of my queries where the setting was changing almost predictably, converted it from interactive to pure script, I took the script from @mmarchandTSI added it to the start and it do not help unfortunately, the setting was still reenabled the moment I hit run.

This is a known issue. JMP is changing that preference automatically when certain slow-performing queries are executed. Technical Support has reported this to Development to be resolved in a future JMP release. 

In the interim, another customer provided the attached script to help us track this down. The startup script will show when the preference is changed. It will also indicate when it is changed if viewing the log during running queries. This is the only way to track the change until this is fixed in a future release. 

See Run a Script at Startup to determine where the startup script should be stored.