cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

JMP Alter (path incorrect)

Hello,

I have an issue with JMP v15. When I open my project I have the following error saying that the path is invalid (see screenshot, I am sorry, but I have to hide the complete path). But the curious thing is that path in the error message is not the path where I saved my project. All my plots are missing.

PersuasionCamel_1-1685101320970.png

How can I resolve the error?

Thank you very much and have a nice day,

Jean

4 REPLIES 4
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: JMP Alter (path incorrect)

Does the path end with a filename? Is it a .JMP table or the .JMPPRJ file? Does the project finish opening? Is there anything missing in the opened project? Are all the project pieces saved inside the project, or are some of them references to items outside of the project?

You might want to use tech support for this if the data is too sensitive to share here.

Craige

It ends with a "Data - 25mg.jmp" file. Yes the project is opened, but the 25mg plot are missing.

Craige_Hales
Super User

Here's what I think you are describing. This is JMP 17, I think 16 is similar and 15 is a bit different...

A and B are different.A and B are different.

When you open an existing file from disk (not talking about the B content yet), it appears in the A (workspace) panel. When you close the project, the project remembers what tabs are open in the workspace. When the project re-opens, JMP tries to re-open the tabs. In the picture I deleted test3.jmp from the desktop before re-opening and got a similar message.

If you drag/drop an opened file from A into B (contents) then JMP makes a copy of the file and keeps it in the project when the project is saved. If you then open the file from B, it looks just like the original, and you have to be careful to make sure you are working with the proper copy of the file (original from disk or copy in project contents.) If the content copy is open (appears in the workspace and has a tab) when the project is closed, it will be re-opened.

The A workspace shows open files that may or may not be kept in the project's contents. The B contents shows files that are kept with the project (which is actually a zip file with a jmpproj extension.) The B content files are extracted as needed when the project is re-opened, using a $jmpproj (approximate name) directory on your temporary folder.

I believe you are not using the project contents. I believe you are using the remembered files in the workspace to re-open files from disk. I believe you deleted/moved/renamed "Data - 25mg.jmp".

If that doesn't seem right, add some details.

@aaron_andersen 

Craige

@PersuasionCamel did you ever get this figured out?

If you're using JMP 15, you won't have the project contents window (B in Craige's diagram--thanks @Craige_Hales!), as the ability to save your data tables and other files inside of the project file was introduced in JMP 16.

In JMP 15 projects, all the files opened by a project live somewhere on disk, and JMP saves the path to each file with the project.

It definitely sounds like the data table in question was moved or deleted after the project was saved, and that's why it can't be found. Does that seem like something that could have happened?