cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
LandraRobertson
Community Manager Community Manager

JMP 14.1 is available! Update your JMP 14 and JMP Pro 14 software

JMP 14 and JMP Pro 14 have received enhancements and fixes in this first maintenance release, JMP 14.1. Please go to jmp.com/update today to update your software—at no charge.

You can keep your software updated by setting the preferences to check for updates automatically. In JMP, go to File>Preferences>JMP Updates, and then select the “Check for Updates” box.

10 REPLIES 10
Byron_JMP
Staff

Re: JMP 14.1 is available! Update your JMP 14 and JMP Pro 14 software

Make sure you take a look at the release notes, there are a lot of nice additions in this dot release, especially for the JMP Pro and the Functional Data Explorer.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Looking through I found out JMP 14 introduced Classes in JSL. This is awesome, and really is a game changer. This should have been advertised more. It's completely missing from their new features page: https://www.jmp.com/en_us/software/new-release/new-in-jmp-and-jmp-pro.html
LandraRobertson
Community Manager Community Manager

@msharp, Thanks so much for this feedback. We will continue to let users know about the JMP Scripting Certification in a variety of ways and make the new certification even more visible. 

Byron_JMP
Staff

Another update, which is kind of huge:

• In Formula Depot, JMP can use the Python NumPy library to implement linear algebra operators and advanced operators, such as Vec Quadratic and Design Norm in Python. These operators are used in the scoring of models such as Discriminant, PCA, and the Neural Networks “fast formulas” (matrix based) formulation.

I haven't tried this out yet, but... sorta awesome

msharp
Super User (Alumni)

Sorry @LandraRobertson, I meant classes as in object oriented programming. This is the first the JSL actually supports methods for OOP with the Define Class() function. I've seen multiple threads where JSL creatives have created ad hoc Classes, so having this built in will strengthen the language and provide greater flexibility.

Thanks for the feedback, @msharp. It's always a balancing act to highlight the top features in a new release that appeal to the broadest range of scientists and engineers who use the product. More information about JSL Classes is available in the JMP 14 Online Documentation. And it is certainly a topic we will consider blogging about in the future.

Connect with me on LinkedIn: https://bit.ly/3MWgiXt
Byron_JMP
Staff

I'm more of a JSL hack than an elegant programmer, so I'm curious about this. I've heard a number of people raving about how awesome it will be to have classes, but I'm not sure what to do with them. 

What are you going to do?

awsmagala
Level II

Object Oriented Programming (OOP) allows your to pair the data and methods that work on that data together.  It also allows for things like inheritance. Typically it is used when you are writing larger more complex programs that have a lot of moving parts.

I am currently using the JMP classes to create a standard library for engineers at my company that will simplify the programming and make it easier for any progamming level to quickly start programming.  For example instead of having to create a SQL query, perform an analysis, and generate a report from scratch those things can all be made methods of the class making it much easier to generate.

Example Below:

obj = NewObject('BetaRayClass', lot = 'lot number');

dt = obj << Get Data();

dist = obj << Get Distribution(capability = "True");

sum_stats = obj << Get Sum Stats();
cpk = obj << Cpk();

graph = obj << Get Hist();

All of the "Get <Something>" functions are methods of the class.  Classes make this very easy to do as the methods (or functions) of the class have access to the declared properties (or variables) inside the class.

Below link is a good explination on OOP programming but in Python.  Main concepts will still apply just syntax will be different.

https://python.swaroopch.com/oop.html

Here are the release notes for JMP 14.1

Connect with me on LinkedIn: https://bit.ly/3MWgiXt