cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
DMR
DMR
Level V

Is there a way to reference the current column name in a formula?

Hi - I'd like to be able to reference the name of a column in a data table to which a formula has been applied, in much the same way that the row() function returns the current row. I want to be able to do it so that I can copy the column properties of a single column of one data table to multiple columns of another data table with a different set of names (which I don't know in advance, but which I know will have a certain structure), and then use those names to determine what action is to be performed by the formula.

For example, if the column name has a "1" in it then I want to evaluate formula A, whereas if it contains a "2" then I want to evaluate formula B. I could set up all the possible options within a single formula with a set of if-then-else clauses or a choose() function, if I can reference the column name from within the formula.

Can it be done? I have a feeling this could well be one of those questions that invites a one-line reply demonstrating that it's trivial, so apologies in advance if it is.

Many thanks

1 REPLY 1
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: Is there a way to reference the current column name in a formula?

It sounds like the formula needs to change what it does based on its column name. Would it be possible to use the column name at <<setFormula time to choose a simpler formula?

Craige