cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Is there a Column Formula to find 2nd highest value?

Hello all - 

I am wondering if someone can help with something that has been stumping me in JMP.  I have columns 1-10 that contain a value from the RandomGamma(1) function.  I am trying to come up with a formula to enter for column 11 that would pull out the second highest value of columns 1-10 for any row.  It would be like finding the second highest Maximum for columns 1-10.   Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this?  I am a student who is new(ish) to JMP and would appreciate as simple an answer as possible as I am very much still learning.  

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is there a Column Formula to find 2nd highest value?

The Sort Descending() function would return the values in descending order. The following demonstrates the concept.  The subscript of 2 will capture the second highest value. You will need to change the column names to your actual column names:

Sort Descending( Eval List( {:A, :B, :C} ) )[2]

Hope that helps!

Wendy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The Sort Descending() function would return the values in descending order. The following demonstrates the concept.  The subscript of 2 will capture the second highest value. You will need to change the column names to your actual column names:

Sort Descending( Eval List( {:A, :B, :C} ) )[2]

Hope that helps!

Wendy

Thank you so much!  That is exactly what I was wondering how to do!  :)