cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

Is there a Column Formula to find 2nd highest value?

Hello all - 

I am wondering if someone can help with something that has been stumping me in JMP.  I have columns 1-10 that contain a value from the RandomGamma(1) function.  I am trying to come up with a formula to enter for column 11 that would pull out the second highest value of columns 1-10 for any row.  It would be like finding the second highest Maximum for columns 1-10.   Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this?  I am a student who is new(ish) to JMP and would appreciate as simple an answer as possible as I am very much still learning.  

Thanks! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Is there a Column Formula to find 2nd highest value?

The Sort Descending() function would return the values in descending order. The following demonstrates the concept.  The subscript of 2 will capture the second highest value. You will need to change the column names to your actual column names:

Sort Descending( Eval List( {:A, :B, :C} ) )[2]

Hope that helps!

Wendy

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

The Sort Descending() function would return the values in descending order. The following demonstrates the concept.  The subscript of 2 will capture the second highest value. You will need to change the column names to your actual column names:

Sort Descending( Eval List( {:A, :B, :C} ) )[2]

Hope that helps!

Wendy

Thank you so much!  That is exactly what I was wondering how to do!  :)