cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
powerpuff
Level IV

Is it possible to open a jsl script and edit it using another jsl script?

5 REPLIES 5

Re: Is it possible to open a jsl script and edit it using another jsl script?

Open it as a text file and store the contents in a variable. Then use the character functions to change it.

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

The short answer is yes. You can use Load Text File() to get the contents of a .JSL file into a JSL variable and then work on it.

It's an interesting question though and it makes me wonder why you need/want to do this? Can you describe what you're trying to do?

-Jeff
David_Burnham
Super User (Alumni)

Here's an example - not sure I could live without this 

http://www.pega-analytics.co.uk/blog/finding-that-line-of-code/

-Dave
mikedriscoll
Level VI

This is an old thread but I'm going to reply to this anyway, as I occasionally look to see if this feature exists. The only reason I'd want to use another editor is when I'm writing most of my code but not yet ready to test, and I want to use an external editor's feature where a selected word (like a variable name or function) preceded and followed by spaces or some other special characters, automatically highlights all other instances of that text in the file. It's useful for when my scripts turn into spaghetti code and I can quickly see where the other instances of that variable are.

pmroz
Super User

I work on JSL scripts mostly in the JMP script editor.  However sometimes Notepad++ comes in very handy.

Notepad++ has features like:

• Highlighting all instances of text you are searching for.
  • Search all files in a folder (recursively if needed) for a string
  • Find and replace all occurrences of a string in a set of files