cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
caseylott
Level IV

Is it possible to make a data filter wider (instead of taller) as more filtering columns are added?

Hi again. Here is a second data filter configuration question... I'd like to use a relatively large number of categorical columns as data filters. Some of these have many levels. Currently, each time I add a column to a data filter it is appended below the last filter. This results in an impractically tall chain of filters that scroll well off the page (and don't compact well with scroll bars).

Instead, I'd like to create a wider display, with multiple columns, arranged in 3 columns, in a data filter. See image below and attached. This image is just a mockup where I placed 3 local data filters next to each other for illustration. I'd prefer to use only a SINGLE data filter (not local data filter), having the option of adding new filter columns into new display columns. This way, I don't have to establish relationships between multiple local data filters or between a local data filter and the data table. Again, thanks in advance for any recommendations. Casey

caseylott_0-1636053535977.png

4 REPLIES 4
ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Re: Is it possible to make a data filter wider (instead of taller) as more filtering columns are added?

Hi @caseylott,

Yes you sure can, maybe take a look at this post:Can I arrange data filters in two columns? 

caseylott
Level IV

Re: Is it possible to make a data filter wider (instead of taller) as more filtering columns are added?

Hi @ih . Perhaps I'm not understanding your original post, but I think I'm looking for something slightly different. I don't want to have separate boxes that each have a different local filter. I want to have a single data filter where the filtering columns are arranged in columns. In this case, the columns aren't treated as separate elements. Does this make sense?

Casey 

ih
Super User (Alumni) ih
Super User (Alumni)

Edit: I take that back, this does not work, only the last filter touched affects the table.  I think you would need to use local data filters and then some sort of script to detect changes and write those back to the table.

Ah, reading closer you did ask for a single data filter. I don't think that is possible, but I believe you can get the same result/look/feel with three separate filters. You can group non-local filters in this same way:

ih_0-1636063975018.png

Names default to here(1);

dt = Open("$Sample_data/big class.jmp");

New Window("Nested Data Filters",
	Data Filter Context Box(  //Left Data filter context box
		H List Box(
			dt << Data Filter(  Add Filter( columns( :height ) ) ),
			Data Filter Context Box( //Second-from-left context box
				H List Box(
					dt << Data Filter( Add Filter( columns( :age ), Display( :age, N Items( 6 ) ) ) ),
					Data Filter Context Box( //Second-from-left context box
						H List Box(
							dt << Data Filter( Add Filter( columns( :sex ) ) ),
							//could add a v list box here and put a second graph which also uses the outer local data fitlers.
							dt << Graph Builder(
								Size( 528, 456 ),
								Show Control Panel( 0 ),
								Variables( X( :weight ), Y( :height ) ),
								Elements( Points( X, Y, Legend( 5 ) ), Smoother( X, Y, Legend( 6 ) ) )
							)
						)
					)
				)
			)
		)
	)
);

caseylott
Level IV

Hi @ih 

NOTE: my original message had the wrong image for the first example. This has now been fixed.

Thanks for the response. The problem with the horizontal chain of filters approach is that they no longer function as one would expect for a boolean query. Like you said, it is only the filter that was last touched that affects the selection. See below for an illustration. I first selected a subset of height bins, then two different ages, and then a single sex. If you look at the table you can see that, in the end, only the final selection (all male records) is registered.

caseylott_0-1636665342693.png

Now... If I make the same selection in a single, vertically oriented data filter, the boolean selection logic works as expected in that the points shown and data table records selected reflect all records that are below the height threshold AND one of the selected ages AND the selected sex. 

caseylott_1-1636659622884.png

This seems to suggest (unless I'm getting something wrong) that boolean queries are possible with a single vertical data filter, but not using a horizontal chain of filters. So, like you said, while the horizontal and vertical displays look similar, they do not function similarly.

If I were looking at either of these displays, as someone unfamiliar with this limitation in JMP, I would probably expect both to be able do the following: 

1) select height criteria

2) have the graph and data table reflect this first selection

3) select AND or OR to set the relationship between my first selection and my second selection

4) select age criteria (the graph and data table should now reflect this joint selection based on my choice of boolean operator)

5) select AND or OR to set the relationship between this two-column selection and my third selection

6) select sex criteria (the graph and data table should now reflect this joint 3 column selection based on any unique combination of boolean operators between filters (whether I used AND for both, OR for both, or AND for one and OR for the other).

Like you said, this doesn't work with multiple horizontal filters. With that display, it seems like all you can do is make a selection using any of the 3 SINGLE filters on it's own, and not using combinations of filters. Does this assessment of filter behavior seem correct to you? I am not well versed in JSL, so I'm curious if there is some way to link the behavior of the 3 horizontally arranged filters to the selection shown in the graph and data filter. I've messed around with this in the Application Builder platform, but I can't figure out how to make multiple filters link to each other that way either. Maybe there is a solution for this, but without knowing what that might be, I'm going to assume, for now, that if I want to do boolean filtering in JMP, I have to do so within a single data filter. If this is the case, I run into some different problems, which I've expressed in a different post, with the use of a single data filter for boolean queries. I'd be interested to hear your perspective on this as well if you'd like to take a look.  Here's the link to the other post: https://community.jmp.com/t5/Discussions/Is-it-possible-to-make-relationship-between-two-columns-in-...