cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
frankderuyck
Level VI

Is it possible to make DOE generation reproducible?

When setting up a Custom DOE in a training often the trainees get slightly different Experiments fequently resulting in different models after analysis. For non experienced users this is confusing.  I would like that everyone in the class gets the same Experiment after specification of the targe model, is this possible? 

Analysis results can made reproducible when using a Random reset function in the response outcome formula. 

12 REPLIES 12
frankderuyck
Level VI

Re: Is it possible to make DOE generation reproducible?

Hi Victor, clicking on Edit here below I get the script of the DOE in attachment

DOE(
Custom Design,
{Add Response( Maximize, "Conversion", ., ., ., ., ., "%" ),
Add Factor( Continuous, 230, 250, "Flowrate", 0, "lmin-1" ),
Add Factor( Continuous, 15, 25, "O2", 0, "vol%" ),
Add Factor( Continuous, 0.3, 0.5, "CAT", 0, "m%" ),
Add Factor( Continuous, 15, 20, "Pressure", 0, "10² kPa" ),
Add Factor( Categorical, {"LINE A", "LINE B", "LINE C"}, "Supply Line", 0 ),
Set Random Seed( 123 ), Number of Starts( 100 ), Add Term( {1, 0} ),
Add Term( {1, 1} ), Add Term( {2, 1} ), Add Term( {3, 1} ), Add Term( {4, 1} ),
Add Term( {5, 1} ), Add Term( {1, 1}, {2, 1} ), Add Term( {1, 1}, {5, 1} ),
Add Term( {2, 1}, {3, 1} ), Add Term( {2, 1}, {4, 1} ),
Add Term( {2, 1}, {5, 1} ), Add Term( {3, 1}, {5, 1} ),
Add Term( {4, 1}, {5, 1} ), Add Term( {1, 2} ), Add Term( {2, 2} ),
Add Term( {3, 2} ), Add Term( {4, 2} ), Set Sample Size( 24 ),
Optimality Criterion( "Make A-Optimal Design" ),
"A-Optimality Parameter Weights"n(
[1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1]
), Simulate Responses( 0 ), Save X Matrix( 0 ), Make Design}
)

When I click on run the run order is different from attached DOE? Hard to understand why the script of this DOE does not reproduce the DOE?? 

frankderuyck_0-1699519599165.png

Victor_G
Super User

Yes @frankderuyck, as the original DoE seems to have been created with a randomized run order, when you're clicking on "Make Table" after having launched the script "DOE Dialog", you'll end up with a different run order than your original design (or the design presented in the Custom Design platform for creating it), even if you select "Keep the Same" : it will keep the same ordering as the one seen in the Custom Design platform, not the one from the datatable.

One option would be during the design generation (and before clicking on "Make Table") to check the option "Include Run order column", so you'll be able to sort in acending order with this column the runs for any design created with the same settings : 

Victor_G_0-1699524863888.png

Victor_G_1-1699524931287.png

Unfortunately this option doesn't seem to be written somewhere in the script from DOE Dialog, so it doesn't seem possible to add it "a posteriori" to your original datatable to have an information about run order.

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
frankderuyck
Level VI

OK thanks Victor,

thought that fixing Random Seed was meant to assure constant run order randomization when selection this option before DOE generation. So guess now I'll have to regenerate my DOE's with Run Order Keep the same.