cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
matthew_gill
Level I

Is it possible to format Date/Time or Duration to include milliseconds in a JMP Data Table?

Please excuse my naive question.

I have a large dataset from a temperature logger which is sampling several times per second.  I would like to format the time column to be able use the milliseconds data.  Further, in other data, Durations and Times may include milliseconds, nanoseconds, microseconds etc, but I can see no way to format the column appropriately in JMP so that these values may be used as times/durations.

Is it possible to set up a Custom Format to account for time data including durations of less than a second, and if so, how would I go about doing this?

Matt

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: Is it possible to format Date/Time or Duration to include milliseconds in a JMP Data Table?

Except for a couple of cases, JMP date/time functions deal in whole seconds.  The Today() function is a prime example.   However, you can use the HP Time() to get measurements in milliseconds, or Tick Seconds()  to get 60th of a second times.  The main issue here is that the values returned for these 2 functions are measured since the start of the JMP session.  But that can be worked around by setting a global variable to the start time of your JMP session, and then doing an offset.

Concerning the displaying of inputted values that have data in milliseconds,  you can specify decimal places for the time formats

12474_pastedImage_3.png12475_pastedImage_4.png

Jim

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
txnelson
Super User

Re: Is it possible to format Date/Time or Duration to include milliseconds in a JMP Data Table?

Except for a couple of cases, JMP date/time functions deal in whole seconds.  The Today() function is a prime example.   However, you can use the HP Time() to get measurements in milliseconds, or Tick Seconds()  to get 60th of a second times.  The main issue here is that the values returned for these 2 functions are measured since the start of the JMP session.  But that can be worked around by setting a global variable to the start time of your JMP session, and then doing an offset.

Concerning the displaying of inputted values that have data in milliseconds,  you can specify decimal places for the time formats

12474_pastedImage_3.png12475_pastedImage_4.png

Jim
matthew_gill
Level I

Thanks Jim: reformatting to use decimal places is just the trick for the data logger.  It is obvious now you point it out.  I am sure I will be able to work around the microseconds etc issue (after all, that is really an issue of units more than anything).

kage
Level II

If you have a time format from your data logger like this

"mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss:dd" 

JMP seems to trip up on that last ":" not being a "." 

This formula snippet converts the string to a date time format via the Informat() function and then uses the decimal place field per txnelson

Informat(
	Left( :Time, Length( :Time ) - 4 ) || "." || Right( :Time, 3 ),
	"mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss"
)

JMPCapture.PNG