cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
G_M
G_M
Level III

Intraclass Correlation using a random effects model versus the MSA platform

Good evening JMP Community,

Does someone have an explanation as to why the ICC calculated in the MSA platform (EMP) is different than the percent of variance explained in the variability or the fit model platform with random effects (REML)?

For example, I used the Animal sample data and concatenated the species and subjectID into a new column and used the new column as the between subjects factor and miles as the outcome.  In the fit model and variability platforms I calculate an ICC of ~0.387 and in the MSA platform the ICC is ~0.4.

Attached is a pic of the two outputs.

Sincerely,

MG

ICC.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Intraclass Correlation using a random effects model versus the MSA platform

Hi MG,

The EMP Measurement Systems Analysis platform uses ranges by default for calculating variation, but if you switch to using standard deviations in the launch dialog you should get results that match the Variability platform in your example.

EMPDlg.PNG

Here are the results:

EMPResults.PNG

It is possible to set a platform preference to always use standard deviations if you prefer that to be the default.

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Laura

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Byron_JMP
Staff

its all about the sigmas

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/15.1/#page/jmp/statistical-details-for-measurement-systems-analy...

The REML variance components are calculated differently, and perhaps a little more precisely. 

Take a look at the degrees of freedom in EMP too.

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)

Hi MG,

The EMP Measurement Systems Analysis platform uses ranges by default for calculating variation, but if you switch to using standard deviations in the launch dialog you should get results that match the Variability platform in your example.

EMPDlg.PNG

Here are the results:

EMPResults.PNG

It is possible to set a platform preference to always use standard deviations if you prefer that to be the default.

I hope this helps. Thanks.

Laura

G_M
G_M
Level III

Many thanks Byron and Laura.  I appreciate the quick support!

Sincerely,

MG

ron_horne
Super User (Alumni)

Thank you @Laura_Lancaster for the clarification.

would it be possible to produce a list of ICC measurements available in JMP in the context of this list:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intraclass_correlation#Calculation_in_software_packages 

Many thanks,

Ron