cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Brian_Pimentel
Level II

Interval Explorer for One Sample Variance

I don't understand what the interval, lower and upper bound outputs for this explorer tool are - they don't seem to match the traditional chi^2 math you would do to calculate the CI of a stdev. "Interval" doesn't even seem to match the range between the upper and lower bound....

What are the units of interval width?

Are they dependent on the value of the standard deviation?

Is it a half width or a full width?

How do I use this to calculate a CI? I know it's not supposed to be symmetrical...

Please and thank you,

Brian_Pimentel_0-1724110672641.png

1 REPLY 1
MRB3855
Super User

Re: Interval Explorer for One Sample Variance

Hi @Brian_Pimentel : You can find that information here (click on help button).

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/en/18.0/#page/jmp/margin-of-error-for-one-sample-variance.shtml#

There it says the width (full width since you chose the Interval option) as shown is the same as you expect with the assumption that the sample variance =1 (this makes sense because you haven't collected the data yet). So, in your case, if you then take a sample of size 27, the width  of the 95% CI for the Population Variance will be 1.258*Sample Variance.