cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Installing a JMP addin with the addin.def on a Mac

I want to install an addin without packing it into a .jmpaddin file (because I want it to be an active repo).  On Windows I just drag the addin.def file into JMP, but that doesn't seem to work on a Mac.  Anyone know how that works? I'm real bad at Mac.  

Vince Faller - Predictum
3 REPLIES 3
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Installing a JMP addin with the addin.def on a Mac

Hi @vince_faller,

You'll need to place your files in either the user or the global JMP Add In directory (global means all users on the machine will have the Add In, local is just the current user account). For example, to place in the user directory, navigate to   ~/Library/⁨Application Support/⁨JMP⁩/⁨Addins⁩    To do this, you can press shift-command-G in your Finder, and paste that location in. From there you will want to make a folder for your Add-In files, and then place the addin.def and addin.jmpcust files there. Once you restart JMP, the Add-In should be loaded and you can make changes to the .def file without restarting jmp.

@julian  

vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Really?  I can't have it elsewhere?  Is that a Mac limitation or just a JMP on Mac limitation?  

Vince Faller - Predictum
julian
Community Manager Community Manager

Correct, as I understand it, Add Ins must be, and always are, in one of those two locations. But, this isn't a mac limitation/difference. As I understand it, Windows may let you drag a .def file into JMP, but what happens then is jmp copies that over to the Windows location for JMP Add Ins, of which there is also a user-specific, and global location. I suspect on a drag into jmp, the file would be ported over to the user roaming location: C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\SAS\JMP\Addin

@julian