cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
earthmancash
Level I

Import data from AWS S3 or other cloud services?

How does JMP connect to data stored on cloud hosting services like AWS S3? I read that JMP has ODBC connectors to various data stores, but I can't find a list of the available connectors that are out there. Ideally, importing data in JMP would get converted to an AWS CLI call to retrieve the contents of an S3 bucket. Even more ideally, the import would be a CLI call that's doing a redshift or other postgres query.

Is that possible?

2 REPLIES 2
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: Import data from AWS S3 or other cloud services?

@earthmancash,
        I think this can be done using query builder. Here is some relevant post I found, https://www.progress.com/blogs/salesforce-connectivity-within-sas-jmp - the post details how to connect to Salesforce Cloud. I wonder if it would be very different from that. Hope this helps 

Best
Uday
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: Import data from AWS S3 or other cloud services?

Hi @earthmancash,

Yes you can connect to AWS from JMP.  There are a few ways to establish the connection.  But they are dependent on how you want to manage the access your users have to your Amazon Redshift database. Often you generate temporary DB credentials based on permissions granted through an AWS Identity and Access Management (IAM) permissions policy.

1. ODBC for creating DB credentials
  2. JDBC (via run program) for creating DB credentials
  3. Rest API (JMP 14) to establish DB credentials

Amazon recommends ODBC or JDBC drivers to generate DB user credentials.

You will need obtain the ODBC URL for your cluster before configuring the driver.

Configuration of the Mac Redshift ODBC driver

Configuration of the Windows Redshift ODBC driver

Once you have configured the ODBC driver you can use JMP Query Builder as described in @uday_guntupalli post.  

Further information and reading using the online documentation for JMP Query Builder.

cheers,

Stan