cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jkc5h5
Level I

I am making a county map of Missouri and labeling each county with the price of acre rental. I have made the map and I have all the data in the JMP excel. I just don't under how to put the labels of the prices on each of the counties.

How do I put the labels on?

4 REPLIES 4

Re: I am making a county map of Missouri and labeling each county with the price of acre rental. I have made the map and I have all the data in the JMP excel. I just don't under how to put the labels of the prices on each of the counties.

Prepare your JMP data table before making the plot.

1. Select the data column that contains the acre rental values.
  2. Select Cols > Label.
  3. Select the rows in the data table that you want to be labeled in the plot.
  4. Select Graph > Graph Builder.
  5. Drag the column with the county values to the Map Shape drop zone.
  6. Drag the longitude data column to the X axis.
  7. Drag the latitude data column to the Y axis.
  8. Drag the acre rental column over the plotting area that shows the county maps.

Those steps should produce the result you want.

The mindset behind JMP is different than for other software. Here you can see that we don't have specialized functions in Graph Builder for everything that we might need or want to do. Instead, we use the interactive row and column commands to tell JMP what we want. These commands work the same everywhere, not just in Graph Builder.

srezaei
Level I

Re: I am making a county map of Missouri and labeling each county with the price of acre rental. I h

I want to draw North Carolina county map in jmp graph builder. I have county name, zip codes, latitude and longitude. Would you please let me know how can I do that. I dragged latitude to Y and longitude to X and NC in a shape map, but I can not show the counties in my map. then I want to show the number of infant mortality in each county.

txnelson
Super User

Re: I am making a county map of Missouri and labeling each county with the price of acre rental. I h

Documentation on how to do this is available at:

Help==>Books==>Essential Graphing==> Graph Builder

Jim
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

srezaei: I keep a similar map of the states of MD, PA, NJ, DE, and the District of Columbia. All I have in my JMP data table are two columns...the county name following this convention in each row: (Name) County, State (I use the abbreviation). Then a second column with my variable of interest. Just drag the column containing the names into the map shape drop zone, the variable of interest into the Graphing Zone and you should be all set. If you don't have data for some of the counties, they will appear as blanks in the Graphing Zone...just right click in the graphing zone, and select: Map Shapes -> Show Missing Shapes if you want to include the outlines of the missing data counties.