cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to use Unit column as Y axis label in Graph Builder in JMP16?

This ought to be a simple task, but I have not managed to find the solution, so I hope you can help; 

I am creating a lot of graphs. Y axis always contains values from "Entered value" column. Y axis label is automatically "Entered Value", but I want it to be the text in the "Unit" column (or just any column I choose). Each graph will contain data for one parameter and each parameter has a unit stated in the Unit column. I want the Y axis label to always change automatically to what is stated in the Unit column for the Parameter currently in my graph. 

I can change it manually in Graph Builder, but I want to avoid this as it takes a long time and there is a larger risk of errors. 

Can you please provide me with a simple solution for this?

4 REPLIES 4
SDF1
Super User

Re: How to use Unit column as Y axis label in Graph Builder in JMP16?

Hi @SeasonalMeerkat ,

Welcome to the JMP Community Discussion pages!

I think I understand what it is you're trying to accomplish, but without seeing either a data table or graphic of what you get and what you want, it's a little difficult to guess exactly what it is you're after.

I can imagine several different ways one could accomplish something similar to what you're describing, but they all kind of depend on what you're trying to accomplish. Can you provide either a data table or images that help to show what you're after? You can always anonymize the data before sharing if you need to: Tables > Anonymize.

DS

I am sorry - I thought it was a very simple task which could be solved without examples

Constructed data table (Real ones have much more columns and rows):

SeasonalMeerkat_1-1703775095495.png

Corresponding simplified graphs - one for each parameter:

SeasonalMeerkat_2-1703775137451.pngSeasonalMeerkat_3-1703775158350.png

On the left is the Y axis label. It is automatically called "Entered value" corresponding to the header of the column containing the values. I would like the Y axis to not be called "Entered value", but use the text from the "Unit" column; Here it would be "Number" for "Particles" and "%" for "Purity". 

How can I ask Graph Builder to get the value from the "Unit" column and apply as the Y axis label for each graph?

Thanks in advance  

WebDesignesCrow
Super User

Hi @SeasonalMeerkat 

I think you need to rename the column name "Entered Value" as "Unit".

The variable name in X-axis/Y-axis in Graph Builder is automatically assigned by the column name (header).

You can also change manually at by double click at the Y-axis name to rename.

I am sorry if I did not describe my challenge well enough.

Re-naiming the column will not fix it. 

Column "Entered value" contains numerical values. These are the Y values for each timepoint (on the x axis). 

Column "Unit" contains Units described in text. All I want from this column is to take the text and use it as Y axis label.

Unit is different for each parameter (see the example table), so the "Entered value" column name cannot have all these 100s of unit names as column name.