cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lwx228
Level VIII

How to use JSL to make TXT files of decimal data into binary format files?

Decimal files use recent tabs to divide data into three columns.
They are all integers:
The data in the first column ranges from 90,000 to 199,999
Column 2: positive integers from 100 to 900,000
Third column: positive and negative integers or 0

2021-09-27_1828.png

They have a lot of rows.
There is no limit to how to save them as binary files or file suffixes using JSL.
And   need to figure out how to re-read restored decimal data from this new binary into JMP.
Thank you very much!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: How to use JSL to make TXT files of decimal data into binary format files?

Open the preferences and look for the option to allow short integer columns. Create a data table with the data and use four bytes for each of your columns (available in the column dialog after you turn on the option.)

Using a 4-byte integerUsing a 4-byte integer

I forget the exact rules, but approximately:

• 1-byte columns represent +/- 1e2 and missing,
  • 2-byte +/- 3e4 and missing and
  • 4-byte represent +/- 2e9 and missing.

Optional: turn on the whole table compression before saving. That will use a zip-like compression that might compress even more, but only on disk, at the expense of slower saving and loading due to compression.

Using 4-byte integers will be half the size of 8-byte doubles. I think that will be true even after loading in memory. Turing on compression for the 8-byte doubles is likely to make the file almost as small as the compressed integer file because it should find the same redundancies to squeeze out.

Craige

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
lwx228
Level VIII

I want to reduce the size of the file in this way.

2021-09-27_1950.png

Craige_Hales
Super User

Open the preferences and look for the option to allow short integer columns. Create a data table with the data and use four bytes for each of your columns (available in the column dialog after you turn on the option.)

Using a 4-byte integerUsing a 4-byte integer

I forget the exact rules, but approximately:

• 1-byte columns represent +/- 1e2 and missing,
  • 2-byte +/- 3e4 and missing and
  • 4-byte represent +/- 2e9 and missing.

Optional: turn on the whole table compression before saving. That will use a zip-like compression that might compress even more, but only on disk, at the expense of slower saving and loading due to compression.

Using 4-byte integers will be half the size of 8-byte doubles. I think that will be true even after loading in memory. Turing on compression for the 8-byte doubles is likely to make the file almost as small as the compressed integer file because it should find the same redundancies to squeeze out.

Craige
lwx228
Level VIII

Thank Craige!

I have formatted each column like this, but still can't figure out how to save the binary file to the computer's hard drive?

2021-09-29_1553.png2021-09-29_1554.png

Craige_Hales
Super User

The JMP data table is a binary file. Save it in any of the usual ways (file->save, <<save) as a .JMP extension.

Yes, there is some meta data in the file, but if you have 1,000,000 rows of three 4-byte numbers, 12,000,000 bytes, the overhead of the meta data will be about ( 752 bytes / 12,000,000 bytes ), or < .01% overhead. In exchange, you 

• Can load the file for free
  • Don't have to worry about remembering the column names
  • Can share it with other JMP users
  • Can add more columns if you need to, even mix and match 8-byte doubles
  • Don't need to invent another file extension (.dat, .bin, .myformat  ?)

If you need to share the data with non-JMP users, a compressed CSV will be pretty small and very portable.

All that said, if you must make a binary file of some other format, see JSL BLOB in an ESP32 Clock  for an example using matrixToBlob. That file is holding highly structured data with self-contained offsets within itself to represent run-length encoded data for a bitmap, connected to a lookup table for each pixel's value. It was hard to get correct and hard to test and hard to use, but gave me the results I needed.

Craige
lwx228
Level VIII

I SEE.

2021-09-29_2016.png

Thank Craige!

lwx228
Level VIII

How to format these columns to 4-byte INTEGER using JSL.I tried to write several did not work, also did not search.

dt=Current Data Table();
Column(dt,1)<<Data Type(Numeric)<<Set Modeling Type(4-byte integer);
Column(dt,1)<<Data Type(integer)<<Set Modeling Type(4-byte);

Thanks Experts!

lwx228
Level VIII

This conversion to binary is also not recorded in the JMP 16 log.

Craige_Hales
Super User

I'm pretty sure if you save the table script (of a table with 4-byte columns) and then edit that script you will see the proper Syntax for creating columns in the 4-byte binary format.
Craige
Craige_Hales
Super User

I think it is numeric(4)
Craige