cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ccharlie
Level II

How to select rows with multiple criteria combined

Hi,

I'm trying to isolate a specific group within a large data set using the following criteria: all subjects who answered yes to 2 particular questions AND all subjects who answered yes to any 3 other questions combined (total number of questions = 9). I was able to isolate subjects meeting the first criteria rather easily but don't know how to select subjects who meet the second criteria (assuming all subjects who met the 1st one were removed from the sample of interest to avoid counting them twice). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ccharlie
Level II

Re: How to select rows with multiple criteria combined

Thanks for the information! Modifying the Fruit_Scanner=="2" to Fruit_Scanner==2 worked like a charm. Using that I was finally able to get the rows I was looking for using the following:

dt = Open( "myfile.jmp" );

dt << Select Where( :testendurance_T1 == 1 | :teststrong_T1 == 1 | Sum( :testenjoy_T1 == 1, :testsad_T1 == 1, :testsports_T1 == 1, :testsleep_T1 == 1, 

:testperform_T1 == 1, :testlibido_T1 == 1, :maleenergy_T1 == 1  ) >= 3 );

Thanks again all for everything!

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
txnelson
Super User

Below is a "Select Rows Where" script that shows the logic of what you need to do.  If you want to do this interactively, just take the logic component of the statement and build it in:

Rows==>Row Selection==>Select Where

dt = Current Data Table();
dt << select rows where(
	q1 == "Yes" & q2 == "Yes" & Sum(
		q3 == "Yes",
		q4 == "Yes",
		q5 == "Yes",
		q6 == "Yes",
		q6 == "Yes",
		q7 == "yes",
		q8 == "Yes",
		q9 == "Yes"
	) == 3 /* or >= 3 if that is what you want */
);
Jim
ccharlie
Level II

Thank you so much for the quick reply Jim. Using my variables and 1 as the yes code, I tried what you gave me:

dt = Current Data Table();

dt << select rows where( 

testendurance_T1 == "1" & teststrong_T1 == "1" & Sum( 

testenjoy_T1 == "1",

testsad_T1 == "1",

testsports_T1 == "1",

testsleep_T1 == "1",

testperform_T1 == "1",

testlibido_T1 == "1",

maleenergy_T1 == "1" 

) >= 3 /*

);

and got the following error:

Unexpected end of input. Perhaps there is a missing "," or ")". Trying to parse arguments of function "select rows where". Line 12 Column 4: );►

I checked row 12 and it does not meet any of the inclusion criteria. I'm clearly missing something but can't figure out what.

Thanks again!

You started a comment on the next to last line, so the closing parenthesis is not seen.

txnelson
Super User

Mark's comment below is correct.  In the example that I gave you, it had a comment

/* or >= 3 if that is what you want */

embedded in a line of code.  This type of comment starts with "/*" and looks for "*/" to end the comment.  Since your code just has the /*, the ");" on the next line is considered part of the on going comment

Jim
ccharlie
Level II

Thank you all! I tried modifying the code but it still didn't work so I went into the JMP Scripting Guide to try to figure things out. I was able to select all rows using this code:

dt = Open( "myfile.jmp" );

dt<<Select All Rows;

Since this worked I tried to go for a simpler code than the original one I had to see if I could get things on track using the JMP instructions. I tried to following code unsuccessfully:

dt<<Select Where( :ID==10322);

I ran it with no error message coming up but nothing happened. I checked the specific row which should have been selected but it was still unselected. I tried again but still nothing. Going in the script log, I found the following:

//:*/

dt << Select Where( :ID==10322 );

/*:

Scriptable[]

dt = Open( "Pre_Post_Freshman_Screener_.jmp" );

dt << Select Where( :ID==10322 );

I tried switching the code to ID=10322 to see if it would make a difference and got the following:

/*:

dt << Select Where( :ID=10322 );

/*:

Use == for comparison, = is assignment

Use == for comparison, = is assignment{1}

/*:

Use == for comparison, = is assignment

Use == for comparison, = is assignment{1}

/*:

I can't help but think that this must be a simple error but I'm still stumped. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for your help!

Jeff_Perkinson
Community Manager Community Manager

Is your ID column character or numeric?

Remember that character columns are displayed right justified and numeric columns are left.

If your column is character you'll need to put the ID value in double quotes for the comparison.

For example:

:ID=="1234"
-Jeff
Jeff_Perkinson

Is your ID column character or numeric?

Remember that character columns are displayed right left justified and numeric columns are left right.

If your column is character you'll need to put the ID value in double quotes for the comparison.

For example:

:ID=="1234"

-Jeff
Jeff_Perkinson

@Jeff_Perkinson wrote:
Remember that character columns are displayed right left justified and numeric columns are left right.

I got my left and my right messed up above. Sorry!

-Jeff

-Jeff
ccharlie
Level II

Thank you for the quick response Jeff! Adding the " " did the trick as far isolating the row matching that particular ID number. Since I don't actually know if any row matches the criteria of a "yes" (coded as 1) answer to at least 3 questions from the set of 7 questions mentioned before, I tried to do enter a sum command for a couple variables which I knew should return something. Here is what I tried:

dt << Select Where( Sum( :Fruit_Screener == "2" & :Vegetables_Screener == "2" ) == 4 );

Unfortunatelt nothing happened. I do know that at least one row meets the criteria of "no" (coded as 2) for these two variables but no selection occurred. Could the _ in the variable names be an issue or is it an error with the sum formula?

Thanks again!