cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where youā€™ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Neo
Neo
Level VI

How to select and repalce duplicates with blanks from one column based on duplicates in another column?

Lets say I have two column data. First column with English alphabets appearing sequentially in Capital case (A--> Z), with each alphabet appearing say 7 times before the next. The second column has the same repetition but in small case (a--z). I want keep only one entry for the small case letter in the second column for each Capital letter in column 1. Rest of the entries in second column I want to set as blanks. 

(In my actual data the repetition is not fixed to 7 times and is variable. Also, my data is numerical and not character)

How to achieve this via JSL?

"Column 2 result" is what I want in "Column 2"

Neo_0-1696346824142.png

When it's too good to be true, it's neither
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to select and repalce duplicates with blanks from one column based on duplicates in another column?

If I am understanding what you want, I believe the solution is 

names default to here(1);
dt=current data table();
dt << new column("result",
	formula(
		if(row()==1 | :column 1 != lag(:column 1), :column 2)
	)
);
Jim

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jthi
Super User

Re: How to select and repalce duplicates with blanks from one column based on duplicates in another column?

If your data is numeric how it goes from capital letters to non-capital ones? And is the repetition same in same data set or can it change between the values?

-Jarmo
txnelson
Super User

If I am understanding what you want, I believe the solution is 

names default to here(1);
dt=current data table();
dt << new column("result",
	formula(
		if(row()==1 | :column 1 != lag(:column 1), :column 2)
	)
);
Jim