cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to remove/avoid a black background in eps files?

Hi,

I work on Windows (with JMP 16) and want to create eps files. I found the following information on the web: https://community.jmp.com/t5/JMPer-Cable/Getting-high-quality-graphics-out-of-JMP/ba-p/354772

However, when I follow these steps, I get eps files with a black background and without the labels on the axes.

To fix the problem, I also tried the Transparant Background mentioned in Saving Publication Quality Graphics with JMP | JMP  but the problem still exists. 

Enclosed, you find an example based on the chocolate data (with png instead of emf/eps).

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks beforehand!

2 REPLIES 2
Thierry_S
Super User

Re: How to remove/avoid a black background in eps files?

Hi,

First, I cannot reproduce your issue when opening the resulting EPS files in Adobe Illustrator. Hence, the problem is probably not the exported file itself but the application you use to open it. Which software did you use?. Indeed, while I agree that there are multiple advantages to working with vector graphics export files, it is unfortunate that he recommended EPS which is an old format that is poorly interpreted even by specialized software like Adobe Illustrator. EMF files are a bit better, but you will learn that there are issues with transparency, text alignment, text fragment, and color conversion.

Therefore, if you absolutely need to export your graphs in vector format, I suggest exporting those as PDF files and editing them in a dedicated application like Adobe Illustrator.

However, if you are more interested in only preserving high-quality graphics for inclusion in presentations, posters, abstracts, or publications, I would suggest using a simple trick:

1) Copy the figure: CTLR + C

2) In the target document (Assuming you are on a Window system): Paste Special by pressing CTRL + ALT + V and choose Enhanced Metafile

This option maintains high resolution even when zooming in by 10X, but not that this format will not provide the high level of flexibility offered by vector graphics.

Best,

TS

Thierry R. Sornasse
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: How to remove/avoid a black background in eps files?

I can't reproduce the issue either. I'm imagining dark mode might be involved, somewhere.

I tried changing my background color in JMP, but it seems ignored by JMP's EPS writer (good! Orange is a terrible background color, but not as bad as black! I keep my background set to white.)

Control-K opens the pref window.Control-K opens the pref window.

The black area may actually be transparent (though my only rendering tool says it is white). JMP probably draws a rectangle of the Graph Background Color inside the frame. A .zip of the .eps is attached; for me it looks like this

Linux EPS viewer.Linux EPS viewer.

Craige