cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How to overlay a Circle onto Scatterplot?

I am plotting (x,y) coordinates of a feature on a part on a scatterplot.   This feature will need to fall within a round tolerance zone - basically a circle whose center is at the nominal/target values of my (x,y) coordinates, and with a radius.  I want to illustrate how the points fall relative to that circular 'tolerance'.   It's so easy when the tolerance is rectangular - just add reference lines to the axes!  But how about a round one?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ian_jmp
Staff

Re: How to overlay a Circle onto Scatterplot?

Probably you need an 'oval' rather than a 'circle'.

Open the 'Big Class' sample data, then run the Bivariate script it contains. Right click on the graphics box, and select 'Customize...'. Click the '+' sign to add a new graphics script, and enter:

Oval(55, 80, 60, 120);

and then 'OK'. This should give an idea of how it works.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
ian_jmp
Staff

Probably you need an 'oval' rather than a 'circle'.

Open the 'Big Class' sample data, then run the Bivariate script it contains. Right click on the graphics box, and select 'Customize...'. Click the '+' sign to add a new graphics script, and enter:

Oval(55, 80, 60, 120);

and then 'OK'. This should give an idea of how it works.

This is great - yes it's clear the Oval script shows the Bottom Left and Top Right coordinates of a rectangle just containing the oval.  Thanks!   Since I need to specify the size and location of my oval, this should work.  I usually do right-click on elements of my world, just to see what can happen.  "Customize..." didn't jump out at me.  Thank you!

pmroz
Super User

You can also use the "Simple Shape" tool.  For example if you draw a graph in Graph Builder, hover your mouse over the thin line near the top of the window.  That will cause the JMP menu to appear.  Click on the toolbar icon all the way to the right called Simple Shape.  You can click and drag an oval or circle with this tool.

For example:

7522_Circle Demo.png

Thanks - I use the tool bar all the time, but RARELY add those shapes.  This particular application won't allow for simple shapes, but I need to add this to the repertoire.  Thanks!