Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
MetaLizard62080
Level III

How to make contour plot for data that contains categorical variables

Hi, 

I'd like to make contour plots for a dataset that has 2 continuous variables, and one categorical variable. When I was messing around with the plot, I was somehow able to make it generate plots for both scenarios (one plot for assuming categorical condition A, another for categorical condition B) automatically.

I can no longer repeat that analysis as it tells me the X values must be numerical when I use the contour plot function.

How can I generate a contour plot for each categorical condition?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
SDF1
Super User

Re: How to make contour plot for data that contains categorical variables

Hi @MetaLizard62080 ,

I'm not exactly sure what you want the graph to look like, but there are a few ways you can do this in graph builder.

One option is use your two numerical columns as the X and Y in GB, and then use the categorical as (1) an Overlay, or (2) Color, or (3) as a Page option. See the results below -- for these examples, I'm using the Cars.jmp example data table with Wt as the Y, Head IC as X, and Make as the GB option. The graphs looks crazy busy, but it's because there are so many different Makes of cars. Hopefully your graph isn't as busy.

(1)

SDF1_0-1697046012347.png

(2)

SDF1_1-1697046036727.png

(3) Here I did a screenshot because it crease a separate GB for each Make of vehicle.

SDF1_2-1697046107120.png

This should at least get you started.

Hope this helps!,

DS

drdrf
Level III

Re: How to make contour plot for data that contains categorical variables

It is difficult to know exactly what the problem is without more details of your data and the steps you are taking to create the plot.  Can you post a sanitized version of your data that illustrates the problem?

Are you attempting to create a contour plot with the raw data or to create a contour profiler with the prediction formula that has been derived from data analysis?  Both should be possible.

If you want the contour plot, you should be able to select this from the Graph menu, then add your Y, add the two continuous variables as Xs and them add the categorical variable to the "By" box