Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
TDK_Long
Level III

How to make a scatter line plot instead of the scatter dot plot

Hi folks,

I have a data table with the data of 5 parts, how can I make the line plot instead of the dot plot shown below. The dot plot looks broken and think a smooth line replace those dots would be preferred in my case. I am attaching the data table and appreciate if you can paste a JSL to enable the line plot. Thank you. 

Dot plot - example.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
peng_liu
Staff

Re: How to make a scatter line plot instead of the scatter dot plot

Not sure whether the following is what you want to achieve:

peng_liu_0-1701389869374.png

This is Gain vs Freq, overlaid by Part. To get it interactively, assuming you are using Graph Builder, select the Lines icons (in yellow), and grab and drop Part to "overlay" (in green).

peng_liu_1-1701389969049.png

And this is the resulting codes:

Graph Builder(
	Size( 533, 456 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :Freq ), Y( :Gain ), Overlay( :Part ) ),
	Elements( Line( X, Y, Legend( 9 ) ) )
);

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
peng_liu
Staff

Not sure whether the following is what you want to achieve:

peng_liu_0-1701389869374.png

This is Gain vs Freq, overlaid by Part. To get it interactively, assuming you are using Graph Builder, select the Lines icons (in yellow), and grab and drop Part to "overlay" (in green).

peng_liu_1-1701389969049.png

And this is the resulting codes:

Graph Builder(
	Size( 533, 456 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :Freq ), Y( :Gain ), Overlay( :Part ) ),
	Elements( Line( X, Y, Legend( 9 ) ) )
);
TDK_Long
Level III

Hi Peng,

Thank you. But when I look at it closely, this is not what I am looking for. I know how to do the part-to-part overlay and then the line plot like what you recommended. My case is that we don't want to overlay the parts, we have other "type" to overlay. For example, we will have modeling result and testing result which has 5 parts, and we would like to overlay the modeling and testing with different color, and we would like to make a line plot in my original post. Please help advise it. Thank you. 

peng_liu
Staff

If you want each part has its own line, then overlay is necessary. I guess you might have already tried to remove overlay, and the result is an average of all parts:

peng_liu_0-1701392202337.png

If only different colors bother you, maybe you can try changing to a single color, and over lay other things with other colors:

peng_liu_1-1701392269688.png

TDK_Long
Level III

Hi Peng,

I don't want to plot the mean as the line plot, I would like to plot each part as a line plot without using part color overlay. Anyway, I will re-open this question in another thread to better describe my question. Thank you for looking into it. 

peng_liu
Staff

Another try, but you need to change data format. I attach the needed data format. It is obtained by Split:

peng_liu_0-1701469999472.png

Then put all "part" columns to Y, and "freq" to X, and get this. And you can certain change legend colors if you don't want different colors.

peng_liu_1-1701470069922.png