cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
lala
Level VII

How to make JSL pop up a dialog box and wait for the user to fill in the parameters?

How can a single JSL have it pop up a dialog at runtime, and when I fill in the text, it can read the content and pass it to the variable and continue running?

Thanks!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: How to make JSL pop up a dialog box and wait for the user to fill in the parameters?

for modal, just change the example:

ex = New Window( "Dialog() example",
	<<Modal,
	<<Return Result,
	V List Box( H List Box( "Set this value", variable = text Edit Box( "Change this text" ) ), H List Box( Button Box( "OK" ), Button Box( "Cancel" ) ) )
);
// because the window is modal, the window must be closed before the following code runs If( ex["button"] == 1, // not canceled // then show the value write(ex["variable"] ), // note: variable is the name of the variable holding the text edit box
// else report no selection write("CANCEL"); // cancel button or red X was pressed );

The example in the scripting index needs a small rewrite to be more useful. I've fixed the main problem and added comments above. The main problem is the if-clause in the example is a confusing double-statement with a semicolon.

edit: repair formatting (for some reason, the code formatter wants to mess up the final else statement)

Craige

View solution in original post

pmroz
Super User

Re: How to make JSL pop up a dialog box and wait for the user to fill in the parameters?

Here's a working example.  You need to include << modal, assign a variable to the text edit box, and retrieve the text edit box value before the user exits the modal dialog.

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
ex = New Window( "Example: Text Edit Box", << modal,
	panel Box( "Picker Example", 
		H List Box( 
			Text Box( "Label:" ), 
			teb = Text Edit Box() ) ),
	panel box("Options",
		h list box(
			ok_button = button box("OK", na = teb << get text),
			canc_button = button box("Cancel", na = "")
		)
	)
);

show(na);

// Wait for me to input text  "JANE"
dt << Select Where( :name == uppercase(na) );
d3 = dt << Subset( Output Table( "tmp" ), Selected Rows( 1 ), selected columns( 0 ) );

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Craige_Hales
Super User

you need the modal option.

A modal window waits for a response; you can't do anything else until it closes.A modal window waits for a response; you can't do anything else until it closes.

Craige
lala
Level VII

• What I want to fill in is not a number, how to modify?

Thank Craige!

Craige_Hales
Super User

A text edit box, rather than a num edit box.

capture.png

Also, take a look at Modal Dialogs , especially how to get the answers from the modal dialog.

Craige
lala
Level VII

• How can variable "a1" get the "efg" I filled in?

Thanks Experts!

2023-03-06_12-11-59.png

Craige_Hales
Super User

for modal, just change the example:

ex = New Window( "Dialog() example",
	<<Modal,
	<<Return Result,
	V List Box( H List Box( "Set this value", variable = text Edit Box( "Change this text" ) ), H List Box( Button Box( "OK" ), Button Box( "Cancel" ) ) )
);
// because the window is modal, the window must be closed before the following code runs If( ex["button"] == 1, // not canceled // then show the value write(ex["variable"] ), // note: variable is the name of the variable holding the text edit box
// else report no selection write("CANCEL"); // cancel button or red X was pressed );

The example in the scripting index needs a small rewrite to be more useful. I've fixed the main problem and added comments above. The main problem is the if-clause in the example is a confusing double-statement with a semicolon.

edit: repair formatting (for some reason, the code formatter wants to mess up the final else statement)

Craige
lala
Level VII

How can make this complete operation possible?

Thanks Experts!

2023-03-23_19-25-23.png

ex = New Window( "Example: Text Edit Box",
	Outline Box( "Picker Example",
		H List Box( Text Box( "Label:" ), Text Edit Box() )
	)
);

//Wait for me to input text  "JANE"
na = EvalContextBox;//??The variable automatically retrieves the filled text
dt << Select Where( :name == na );
d3 = dt << Subset(
	Output Table( "tmp" ),
	Selected Rows( 1 ),
	selected columns( 0 )
);
pmroz
Super User

Here's a working example.  You need to include << modal, assign a variable to the text edit box, and retrieve the text edit box value before the user exits the modal dialog.

ex = New Window( "Example: Text Edit Box", << modal,
	panel Box( "Picker Example", 
		H List Box( 
			Text Box( "Label:" ), 
			teb = Text Edit Box() ) ),
	panel box("Options",
		h list box(
			ok_button = button box("OK", na = teb << get text),
			canc_button = button box("Cancel", na = "")
		)
	)
);

show(na);

// Wait for me to input text  "JANE"
dt << Select Where( :name == uppercase(na) );
d3 = dt << Subset( Output Table( "tmp" ), Selected Rows( 1 ), selected columns( 0 ) );
Craige_Hales
Super User

There are two competing approaches.

@pmroz  example shows one way to use a <<modal dialog.  The JSL callback function on the OK button copies values from the dialog into global variables. 

Several answers above, I used the <<ReturnResult approach.  <<ReturnResult captures values of named display boxes. The results are returned in a list.

Craige
lala
Level VII

ex=New Window("",<<modal,panel Box("",H List Box(teb=Text Edit Box())),panel box("",h list box(button box("OK",na=teb<<get text))));