cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
PValueEnemy
Level II

How to limit a response prediction to a threshold in a model?

Hi!

I want to model particle size, which is a variable that can't be below 0. However, some setups are being predicted to be negative (see picture below). So my question is how can I limit the prediction threshold to be above zero? Is there any truncated approach in JMP?

PValueEnemy_1-1724847474974.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Victor_G
Super User

Re: How to limit a response prediction to a threshold in a model?

Hi @PValueEnemy 

It may be difficult to help you only based on this residuals plot and your topic description, but here are some suggestions from similar topic :Fit Model - Limiting Model Response to Only Positive Values : You can use response transformation to avoid negative predictions.

You can use the platform Distributions to check the most probable data distribution(s) of your response(s) and use this information in your response transformation or in setting an appropriate distribution in your Generalized Regression model.

Hope this first discussion starter might help,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Victor_G
Super User

Hi @PValueEnemy 

It may be difficult to help you only based on this residuals plot and your topic description, but here are some suggestions from similar topic :Fit Model - Limiting Model Response to Only Positive Values : You can use response transformation to avoid negative predictions.

You can use the platform Distributions to check the most probable data distribution(s) of your response(s) and use this information in your response transformation or in setting an appropriate distribution in your Generalized Regression model.

Hope this first discussion starter might help,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics
PValueEnemy
Level II

Thanks, @Victor_G 

Your reply helped a lot. I suppressed many information to reduce the question, but you were right where I needed