cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
samir
Level IV

How to get the median of an array

Hi,

I am looking for a simple thing: the median of an array.

I found complex things with tabulate, summary tables,...But I need simpler:

Suppose I have an array (Matrix) A:

A = 1::10;

How to get the media of A ??

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Re: How to get the median of an array

Hi @samir,

You can use the quantile function without and with a by variable as shown in the example below.

Names Default To Here( 1 );
Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
Row() = 1;
median_ht = Col Quantile( :height, 0.5 );
Row() = 1;
median_htbyage = Col Quantile( :height, 0.5, :age );
Show( median_ht ); //Show median height
Show( median_htbyage ); //Show median height by age

Col Median FunctionCol Median Function

cheers,

Stan

uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

@stan_koprowski
       While I thought of this, I think @samir was asking, how the same can be calculated for a matrix not from a data table ? I looked at the scripting index, there does not seem a direct way to compute the quantiles or median for a matrix (unless I missed it) 

Best
Uday
stan_koprowski
Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @uday_guntupalli,

You could do the same with a matrix as follows--

Names Default To Here( 1 );
Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
htmat = :height<<Get As Matrix;
htmat1 = 1 :: 10;
Eval List(
	{
	Quantile( 0.5, 0, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800, 900, 1000 ), 
	Quantile(0.5,htmat),
	Quantile(0.5,htmat1)
	}
);

//output

{500, 63, 5.5}

cheers,

Stan

samir
Level IV

Thanks !

I guess @uday_guntupalli got my point :) and @stan_koprowski got a solution.

Indeed I was looking for a median of a matrix because I was not able to extract it immediatly from the table, but may be you can lead me to a way:

I hava a table (like below). I would like to calculate the median of each row in a simple way. Of course I need to exclude the 1st column from the calculation. In excel it is straight forward, but in JSL-JMP, I do not know how to do it simply (avoiding to stack the table,...).

Example of a table:

Consumption   Monday  Tuesday  Wednesday  Thursday  Friday  Saturday  Sunday  Median

Electricity         11.2        10.4         13.0              7.1            12.4     11.9         9.7         ?

Gas                  100.4      86.9         94.8              103.0        112.3    95.3        97.8       ?

Craige_Hales
Super User

Using Stan's quantile method, add the formula to the median column:

New Table( "Utility Data",
	New Column( "Consumption", Character, "Nominal", Set Values( {"Electricity", "Gas"} ) ),
	New Column( "Monday", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [11.2, 100.4] ) ),
	New Column( "Tuesday", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [10.4, 86.9] ) ),
	New Column( "Wednesday", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [13, 94.8] ) ),
	New Column( "Thursday", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [7.1, 103] ) ),
	New Column( "Friday", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [12.4, 112.3] ) ),
	New Column( "Saturday", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [11.9, 95.3] ) ),
	New Column( "Sunday", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ), Set Values( [9.7, 97.8] ) ),
	New Column( "Median", Numeric, "Continuous", Format( "Best", 12 ),
	// the 2nd argument to the quantile function is a matrix made from the days of the row...
		formula( Quantile( 0.5, monday || tuesday || wednesday || thursday || friday || saturday || sunday ) )
	)
)

column formula using Quantile to get Mediancolumn formula using Quantile to get Median

Craige