cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
scottahindle
Level IV

How to fit a normal distribution of specified mean and standard deviation to a data set?

Suppose I create 100 values from a standard normal.

While my parameters are mean=0 and SD=1, the calculated statistics from the 100 data will not be fully equal to the parameter values.

If I use "Analyze" and "Distribution" I get a histogram of the 100 random data values and I can fit a normal distribution to these values ("Continuous fit" / "Normal"). The fit is based on the statistics of the data.

Rather than fitting a normal using the statistics as estimates of the parameters, can I fit a normal distribution using the mean and SD parameters I specify? (In this case zero and one.)

Would be great to have some advice on this.

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to fit a normal distribution of specified mean and standard deviation to a data set?

You are not estimating the parameters, you are specifying them. I think you want to plot the PDF for the normal distribution over the histogram. A simple customization is sufficient. If you view the histogram in the default vertical orientation, then use the X Function( Normal Density( x, 0, 1 ), x ); If you rotated the orientation then use the Y Function( Normal Density( x, 0, 1 ), x ); Right-click in the histogram frame box and select Customize. Click the + button and add the JSL.

You get extra points if you figure out how to determine the curvecolor, style, and width...

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How to fit a normal distribution of specified mean and standard deviation to a data set?

You are not estimating the parameters, you are specifying them. I think you want to plot the PDF for the normal distribution over the histogram. A simple customization is sufficient. If you view the histogram in the default vertical orientation, then use the X Function( Normal Density( x, 0, 1 ), x ); If you rotated the orientation then use the Y Function( Normal Density( x, 0, 1 ), x ); Right-click in the histogram frame box and select Customize. Click the + button and add the JSL.

You get extra points if you figure out how to determine the curvecolor, style, and width...

scottahindle
Level IV

Thank you, Mark.