cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
woongkim79
Level II

How to find and delete rows in a data table containing a text (or elements in a list)

I have a list containing a combinations of letters ... e.g A B C D...

Column1

A

B

C

D

AB

AC

AD

ABC

ABD

..... so forth or as a list e.g. mylist = {A, B, C, D, AB, AC, AD, ABC, ABD....}.

While it is possible to find those cells starting with "AB" using Edit-Search-Find from the table menu, it is strange I cannot find a way to do this using JSL script.

I would imagine something like:

loc (mylist,"AB?") for a list or

current data table << get rows where (Column 1 == "AB?") for a data table

...should work but they don't.

Can anyone suggest a way to locate these values using a wildcard (i.e. AB?) or other clever ways to find these items and delete them?

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
pmroz
Super User

Re: How to find and delete rows in a data table containing a text (or elements in a list)

This is a perfect situation for using regular expressions.  For a table you can use the REGEX function:

dt = open("$sample_data/Car Physical Data.jmp");

ch_rows = dt << get rows where(regex(:Model, "^Ch") == "Ch");

That code snippet will find all rows beginning with the string "Ch".

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
pmroz
Super User

Re: How to find and delete rows in a data table containing a text (or elements in a list)

This is a perfect situation for using regular expressions.  For a table you can use the REGEX function:

dt = open("$sample_data/Car Physical Data.jmp");

ch_rows = dt << get rows where(regex(:Model, "^Ch") == "Ch");

That code snippet will find all rows beginning with the string "Ch".

woongkim79
Level II

Beautiful!  Thank you so much PMroz.