cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
RonB
Level III

How to create a window like the 'show text' of text explorer?

I have a column with long texts that I'd like to display to the user in a "notes" like window. Users can copy text from that window. Same as the window text explorer shows when pressing "show text".

Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
jthi
Super User

Re: How to create a window like the 'show text' of text explorer?

I haven't used Text Explorer that much and I don't know where this "Show Text" option is. How should the textbox be built/updated to your "notes" window? All columns in one text box? All rows have their own text box? User selected rows have text box?

-Jarmo
Byron_JMP
Staff

I think the text explore is dropping the text into a "Script Box", kind of like this:

Names Default To Here( 1 );
Script = Script Box(
	"// This window is editable.",
	"Text",
);
New Window( "This is a script box", Script );

The first argument can be a variable with a lot of text assigned to it, like this:

mytext = "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Mauris auctor nibh magna, ut dapibus, Donec tempus felis vitae ipsum rhoncus, convallis aliquet augue egestas. Proin eget odio id lectus, Phasellus finibus ultrices tellus. Nullam sed sem lorem. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aliquam, In nec est auctor, ultricies erat a, laoreet lectus. Nam pellentesque lobortis diam, et semper leo, Morbi condimentum sagittis est, ut congue mauris dignissim in. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. "; Script = Script Box( mytext, "Text", 600, 200 ); New Window( "This is a script box", Script );
JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
pmroz
Super User

A text edit box might be better suited to displaying/editing/selecting text.

mytext = "Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Mauris auctor nibh magna, ut dapibus, 

Donec tempus felis vitae ipsum rhoncus, convallis aliquet augue egestas. Proin eget odio id lectus, 
Phasellus finibus ultrices tellus. Nullam sed sem lorem. In hac habitasse platea dictumst. Aliquam, 

In nec est auctor, ultricies erat a, laoreet lectus. Nam pellentesque lobortis diam, et semper leo, 
Morbi condimentum sagittis est, ut congue mauris dignissim in. In hac habitasse platea dictumst.
";

nw = new window("Text Output",
	teb = text edit box(mytext)
);

Here's the output with some text selected:

pmroz_0-1685621537478.png

Byron_JMP
Staff

@pmroz I agree, the text box is likely the better choice for displaying text; however, the script box has some handy properties such as the line numbering that is automatic and the one click option to send the text to a data table.

In text analysis, these features can be used to generate a subset of documents to continue working on. 

JMP Systems Engineer, Health and Life Sciences (Pharma)
pmroz
Super User

Good to know Byron thanks.