cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
runeah
Level II

How to create a scatterplot with median line (no box plot)

Hi!

I'm presenting the results of a small cohort (10 or less per group) for comparission. I've been trying to create a scatterplot showing only these dots and a median line in order to show a fair display of variability and data amount. Could anyone help me with tips to create this in JMP 12? 

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to create a scatterplot with median line (no box plot)

Use Graph > Graph Builder. Put your continuous variable on Y and your categorical variable on X. Hold the shift key and click the Bar element icon above the canvas. Change the Bar Style property on the left to Float. Change the bar Summary Statistic to Median.

LIke this:

Capture.PNG

The lesson is that you should think of the Bar element as something to represent length, interval, or position (other than a data marker). Then use the bar properties to obtain the graphic you want.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Peter_Bartell
Level VIII

If you know the median, you can add a reference line by just bringing your cursor into the neighborhood of the y-axis, left double click, and the Add Reference Line portion of the window is in the lower right corner of the window.

runeah
Level II

Thank you for your suggestion. This would however add a line spanning both of my groups, while I only wish to show the median intrinsic to each group. Do you know whether JMP 13 offers this in graph builder?

Edit: I also realize I did not specify that I have two groups, sorry.

Use Graph > Graph Builder. Put your continuous variable on Y and your categorical variable on X. Hold the shift key and click the Bar element icon above the canvas. Change the Bar Style property on the left to Float. Change the bar Summary Statistic to Median.

LIke this:

Capture.PNG

The lesson is that you should think of the Bar element as something to represent length, interval, or position (other than a data marker). Then use the bar properties to obtain the graphic you want.

runeah
Level II

Thank you very much! That'll do it!
Craige_Hales
Super User

cool! I only got this far...Part way therePart way there

Craige