cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
ParsaKarthik
Level III

How to calculate the Power of a Pharmacokinetic study in Pharmaceutical industry

Hi, is it possible to calculate the power of a bio study design using JMP?  

5 REPLIES 5

Re: How to calculate the Power of a Pharmacokinetic study in Pharmaceutical industry

Hi @ParsaKarthik ,

Could you tell us more about the design and what you are trying to test?  There are different ways to calculate power, but it depends on where are you starting from and what you are trying to accomplish.

Thanks,

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
ParsaKarthik
Level III

Re: How to calculate the Power of a Pharmacokinetic study in Pharmaceutical industry

Hi @Chris_Kirchberg 

In the bio study, follwing are the steps that happen in sequence

1. selection of no. of volunteers

2. we give both the Innovator(Reference formulation) & the Test(generic) formulation to the volunteers

3. we then collect the blood, measure the concentration of the drug in the volunteers 

4. This is followed by the geometric mean calculation of the Test and Reference

5. Finally, the Test/Reference ratio for the geomteric mean of the Test and reference is calculated.Regultory acceptance criertia is that the Test/Reference ratio along with the Confidence intervals should be in the range of 80-125 to conclude that there is no significant difference between the Reference and Test formulation

Selection of no. of volunteers is based on the power calculation, but i am not sure about the process/criteria that are involved. Kindly update me if this is possible with JMP.

Hi @ParsaKarthik,

That discription helps.  Basically you are looking for the power to detect a difference in two groups with a certain level of confidence.

There is a Power and Size calculator for testing two means or proportions in the DOE menu under Design Diagnostics in JMP 13 and 14. I know it is not the geometric mean, but I think these are the types of calculators you are looking for.

There are also some calculators of different types in our Sample Data section under the help Menu.

Maybe someone has a script to do this for geometric mean.

Best,

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
ParsaKarthik
Level III

@Chris_Kirchberg
Kindly help me on this, assuming the requirement as arithmetic mean. I want to understand the process, i am not so concerned if it is an arithmetic mean or a geometric mean.
Thanks!

HI @ParsaKarthik,

Take a look at this help page that explains how to use the Sample Size and Power Calculator.

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/prospective-sample-size-and-power.shtml

Hope this helps.

Best,

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
www.jmp.com