cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Shad
Level II

How to analyze unbalanced data which three of independent factors are unbalanced levels?

Hello,

I have a data set which has four predictors: three of the predictors including time, distance, and power are unbalanced and one balance predictor. Do you have any idea what is the best way to analyze such data? And how I can analyze them? I do appreciate any help.

12 REPLIES 12

Re: How to analyze unbalanced data which three of independent factors are unbalanced levels?

Hi @Shad ,

How about trying Stepwise regression with forward selection?  That way you will only include interactions that have data. Unbalanced is OK, but if there is missing data for a factor in an interaction, then you cannot use it. there is nothing one can estimate because the data is not there. If you have too many model effects and not enough data, then you cannot estimate all of the effects. 

Stepwise with forward selection can help in these cases. Same with Decision trees.

Hope that helps.

Chris

Chris

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com
Shad
Level II

Re: How to analyze unbalanced data which three of independent factors are unbalanced levels?

I did the stepwise with forwardn selection and minimum BIC rule. Now it ended up with some significant factors. If I want to compare each factor level or their interaction means, how I can do that? I want to see if there is any significant differences in response among predictors levels or their interaction combinations. 

Hi @Shad ,

Once the terms are selected, there is a button that says make model. For categorical models, you can add the whole effects and then the interaction terms and remove the parameterized effects.

Here is a link regarding Stepwise Regression that should help.

https://www.jmp.com/support/help/14/stepwise-regression-models.shtml#

Best,

Chris

Chris Kirchberg, M.S.2
Data Scientist, Life Sciences - Global Technical Enablement
JMP Statistical Discovery, LLC. - Denver, CO
Tel: +1-919-531-9927 ▪ Mobile: +1-303-378-7419 ▪ E-mail: chris.kirchberg@jmp.com
www.jmp.com