cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
jmpvmd
Level II

How to add percentages for each slice in a pie chart

Hi,

I am trying to add percentages to each slice in my pie chart using graph builder with no success. I've tried playing with the summary statistic options shown in the bottom left in the screenshot with no luck. Why aren't the percentages showing up? How can I display them?

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 11.24.24 PM.png

Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
txnelson
Super User

Re: How to add percentages for each slice in a pie chart

What operating system and version of JMP are you using. I can not replicate your issue with JMP 15.1 running on Windows 10
Jim
Thierry_S
Super User

Hi,

I suspect that you may have built your Pie chart in an unusual manner. Indeed, on your screenshot, there is no variable associated with the Y axis. The Y Axis should contain the counts variable for calculating proportions in the Pie chart and X Axis contains the categories for each the slice of you pie chart.

In order to confirm this, would it be possible to expand the last field under the left "Pie Menu" > "Variables"

Best regards,

TS
Thierry R. Sornasse
gzmorgan0
Super User (Alumni)

@jmpvmd,

I can create a graph similar to yours with an X Variable and a Wrap variable and set the # of levels per row to 1. So as @Thierry_S requests, please reveal your Variables.

I noticed that my labels do not appear if there is not enough room on the framebox.  Here are a couple things to look for:

• font size
  • font color, if it is the same color as your background it will not be visible, ie black on black, or white on white

However, I a working on a PC and not a MAC, so as @txnelson suggested OS and JMP version might be relevant.

image.png

Names Default to Here(1);

dt = open("$sample_data/consumer preferences.jmp");

gb = dt << Graph Builder(
	Size( 600, 729 ),
	Show Control Panel( 0 ),
	Show Legend( 0 ),
	Variables( X( :Gender ), Wrap( :Single Status, Levels per Row( 1 ) ) ),
	Elements( Pie( X, Legend( 5 ), Label( "Label by Percent of Total Values" ) ) )
)
jmpvmd
Level II

@txnelson @gzmorgan0 @Thierry_S Thank you all for the help. 

I was running JMP Pro 15.0 on Mac. 

Your comments prompted me to update to 15.1, which resolved the problem immediately.