cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
bio_grad
Level III

How to add border around bars in Graph Builder bar chart?

For visual enhancement purposes I would like to put borders around each bar to make them stand out, though I cannot figure out if it's possible to do in JMP. This is do-able in Excel, but making charts of summarized data is a pain to make each time.

Here is how it looks in JMP followed by what I am trying to achieve:

11838_pastedImage_0.png11839_pastedImage_1.png

Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
Martin
Level V

Re: How to add border around bars in Graph Builder bar chart?

I too would love an answer to this question.
AW
AW
Level II

As would I.

txnelson
Super User

The only way I could figure out to do this, was to specify the Bar chart twice to Graph Builder, and then change the top one to have an empty fill pattern and to change the color of the top one to black.  It then shows only the outline of the bar.

colorborder.PNG

Jim
SD62
Level I

Is tat really the only way? There must be an easier approach??

txnelson
Super User

I believe it is the best and easiest way to do it.
You can always use the Graphic Primitives' available in JMP and use them to create a bar chart, however, you have to calculate the size of the bars, and position them, etc.
Jim
SD62
Level I

Thank you for the feedback. I wish JMP was easier to use :)

txnelson
Super User

Past experiences have shown, that JMP has a bit of a learning curve.  Changing paradigms from Excel to JMP, or from Minitab, etc. to JMP takes a little retraining, but I am sure you will find as thousands and thousands of JMP users found, that JMP really becomes a very easy and efficient tool for data exploration and analysis. 

Jim

Many visualization experts, such as Edward Tufte and Stephen Few, consider a bar outline as you requested to be "chart junk." It adds no additional information to the chart (fact) and so, it is superfluous (opinion).

JMP favors accuracy over impact for statistical discovery, but you can request it in the JMP Wish List area of the JMP Community. In fact, there is already a wish for outlines when bars use a pattern instead of a color.

SD62
Level I

It may appear superfluous but it is useful in my application. If it is already in the JMP wish list, I am not the only one who needs it. Unfortunately, I am not a programmer but I suppose it should be an easy update? I have been using GraphPad Prism and can easily do it. I was giving JMP a try but this may not be the right software for me. Thank you for the quick feedback though: really appreciated.