cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
aland
Level I

How do you change font settings of labels in the "Group X" section in the graph builder?

I have several categories in the group X (and group Y) sections, in the graph builder. And I'd like to decrease the size of the font for these so that the text fits better. Is there any way to do this? I've checked the documentation and it indicates how to change the font of axis labels, but not group labels. Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do you change font settings of labels in the "Group X" section in the graph builder?

I have not found a specific way to adjust the font size of the group labels. Label size seems to be controlled by the the text font preferences, i.e. they can be decreased by choosing a smaller size in preferences/fonts/text. But that will affect the label size in other reports as well as some other elements, legend text size for example. Although more general than desired, this preference has more restricted effects than the global shortcut (cmd+- or Make Text Smaller in the View Menu). For a particular graph it still can be useful.

Preferences can also be changed with jsl. Here's an example how to decreases size while retaining font type.

// Run first two lines once

p_expr = Expr( Get Preferences( text font ) );

p_start = p_expr;

// Repeat following two lines until font size of group labels are OK

p = p_expr;

Preferences( text font( Arg( Arg( p, 1 ), 1 ), Arg( Arg( p, 1 ), 2 ) - 1 ) );

// Run this to reset

Eval( p_start );

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
ms
Super User (Alumni) ms
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do you change font settings of labels in the "Group X" section in the graph builder?

I have not found a specific way to adjust the font size of the group labels. Label size seems to be controlled by the the text font preferences, i.e. they can be decreased by choosing a smaller size in preferences/fonts/text. But that will affect the label size in other reports as well as some other elements, legend text size for example. Although more general than desired, this preference has more restricted effects than the global shortcut (cmd+- or Make Text Smaller in the View Menu). For a particular graph it still can be useful.

Preferences can also be changed with jsl. Here's an example how to decreases size while retaining font type.

// Run first two lines once

p_expr = Expr( Get Preferences( text font ) );

p_start = p_expr;

// Repeat following two lines until font size of group labels are OK

p = p_expr;

Preferences( text font( Arg( Arg( p, 1 ), 1 ), Arg( Arg( p, 1 ), 2 ) - 1 ) );

// Run this to reset

Eval( p_start );

aland
Level I

Thanks very much. That did the trick in this case. Fortunately, I also needed to decrease the size of the text in the Group Y. But too bad the two can't be specified independently.