cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.

How do i show count axis on log scale?

Hi,

I'm fairly new to JMP so this question might seem very simple but I would appreciate some help.

I want to be able to plot a graph to show a continous variable on the x-axis. The y-axis will not be assigned a variable. I would just like it to show the count. I am able to do this on a linear scale no problem. But when i want to show the count axis on a log scale I'm having difficulty. I cannot get the count vaules to display on the y-axis.  Can someone please help?

See below for my plot so far...

2223_pastedImage_0.png

4 REPLIES 4
paigemiller
Level II

Re: How do i show count axis on log scale?

Please enlighten me, what is the logarithm of the numbers on your horizontal axis?

If the answer is the answer I expect, then there is no way to produce a logarithmic axis for negative numbers.

In addition. logarithmic axes are usually used when there are several orders of magnitude (usually several powers of 10) difference between the maximum and minimum values. Fundamentally, I see little value in creating a logarithmic axis for values where there is less than one order of magnitude from max to min.

It is not the horizontal axis i am concerned about. I'm happy with the way that is at the moment. It is the vertical axis that I'm having difficulty with. From my screenshot above you can see that i have this axis (y-axis) set to log scale. All i want to be able to see is the value of points on the axis.(e.g. 1, 100, 1000, 10000, etc). But i cannot display them.

paigemiller
Level II

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

You can get count axis in JMP (from the red triangle next to your variable name, select Histogram Options>Count Axis), but I don't think you can turn the count axis to logarithmic.

Yeah I saw that alright. It works perfectly for linear scale, but not log scale though. Maybe I have to create a column in my data table for the vertical axis (e.g. 1 to 100,000 or something).

Thanks for your reply.