cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JMP94
Level I

How do I write a simple division formula in JMP using different values from the same column?

Hello, I'm trying to create a simple division formula to subtract my target gene value from the reference gene. In excel I take values from the same column and divide every second number in the row with the previous value. Its very simple in excel but I can't figure out how to do it in JMP. Does anyone know how I may troubleshoot this?
I have tried splitting my column by target and well and write the formula that way but I've been unsuccessful. 

Here is a pseudo data set; I simply want to calculate true concentration by diving Target A or B by Reference for each well.

WellTargetConcentration
A1Reference10
A1A100

B1

Reference50
B1B500

3 REPLIES 3
vince_faller
Super User (Alumni)

Re: How do I write a simple division formula in JMP using different values from the same column?

If it's seriously just

divide every second number in the row with the previous value

then

If( Mod( Row(), 2 ) == 0,
	:Concentration / Lag( :Concentration, 1 )
)

this obviously won't hold up to sorting though.  

Vince Faller - Predictum

Re: How do I write a simple division formula in JMP using different values from the same column?

If you're worried about sorting breaking the formula, reformatting your data like the example below would be a different way to do it.

Jed_Campbell_0-1680878827914.png

hogi
Level XI

Alternatively, you can try the Normalization GUI:
hogi_2-1680883279580.png from the QuickSelect Toolbar Add-In 

For your case, the settings will be:

hogi_0-1681046335075.png

There are many more options - just click on hogi_3-1680883429528.png and get a guided tour.