cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
JohnDMoore1
Level II

How do I turn off "open with default program" when opening csv files?

Hello everyone,

Every time I try to open a new csv file in JMP, this is the default.

JohnDMoore1_0-1664976949558.png

Does anyone know how to make this unchecked by default?  I have never wanted to use JMP to open a file in Excel.

Many thanks,

John

2 REPLIES 2
Craige_Hales
Super User

Re: How do I turn off "open with default program" when opening csv files?

I almost remember seeing that, but can't find it again.

JMP version? Mac or Win? What dialog did you open?

I *think* it is just a prompt from JMP asking if you want JMP to open the CSV or some other program that might have claimed the CSV extension. I don't think JMP is offering to claim the CSV extension.

Craige
hogi
Level XI

Re: How do I turn off "open with default program" when opening csv files?

In JMP16.2 -- it appears (on a windows PC) if the user goes to File/Open and changes the filetype to All Files *.*

In Jmp 17.it appears if the user does the following (*)

• change the filetype of File/Open to
    All Files *.*
  • close the file open window
  • reopen the window.

On the other hand, it disappears if you select another file type from the drop-down menu.

Sometimes, it stays hidden till you start again with (*) and sometimes it just appears as soon as you select All Files *.*, without (*)

Fortunately, with Jmp17 the setting changed from default on to default off

What remains even in JMP17 as a problem:
If you click on the file in the Recent Files list to open it again, Jmp seems to  assume that the checkmark is on and either opens the file with the default program or asks for a program to open the file (if the extension is unknown.)

So, if you work on a Windows PC and have files with their own file name extension, always open them via File/Open  - even if the files show up in the Recent Files list ...

hogi_1-1668517647829.png