cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New to using JMP? Hit the ground running with the Early User Edition of Discovery Summit. Register now, free of charge.
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
XH
XH
Level II

How do I run chi-square post-hoc analysis?

Hello,

I am trying to run post-hoc analyses following a chi-square test. I have a binomial dependent variable (yes/no) and a categorical independent variable with 3 levels (A, B, C). When I use this same categorical independent variable to run post-hoc analyses against continuous dependent variables, I have used Dunnett's post-hoc with A as the referent.

I am trying to run post-hoc following a chi-square and have struggled to find a clear solution online. My understanding is to split my independent variable into 2 columns (A, B; A, C) and then to use Analyze>Modelling>Response Screening to compare A vs B and A vs C (effectively manually running post-hoc analyses while controlling for the FDR). Is this an appropriate way to do this, or is there a better method on JMP?

Thank you in advance

1 REPLY 1

Re: How do I run chi-square post-hoc analysis?

You can analyze such data with the Contingency platform and the Nominal Logistic platform, but neither one provides such post-hoc tests as you describe. There is the Odds Ratio for Independent report that might be useful. Here is a mock up of your study:

table.JPG

Here is the platform:

odds.JPG

It is generally better not to divide the data up for separate tests. It reduces the power of the tests.

I do not recommend the Response Screening platform. It is generally intended to screen many response. The FDR in particular is an adjustment for very large tests and should not be used otherwise.