cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Kelly
Level III

How do I put a journal inside a dashboard?

I am creating a dashboard using JMP App(). Within this function I have it run a script from a data table (DataTable1). 

Report1 = Platform( DataTable1, DataTable1 << Run Script("Mean_Graph_Builder") );

The script creates a plot using graph builder and the plot is added to the dashboard. I would like to also add a journal to this dashboard. I have a script for to create my journal but I can't find a way to add the journal to the dashboard.

Note: For my case the dashboard needs to use JMP App(), not New Window().

Thanks fo your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
mzwald
Staff

Re: How do I put a journal inside a dashboard?

You can put dashboards in journals but not possible to put journals in dashboards.
One workaround is save your journal as picture and insert that picture into the dashboard.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
mzwald
Staff

You can put dashboards in journals but not possible to put journals in dashboards.
One workaround is save your journal as picture and insert that picture into the dashboard.
MathStatChem
Level VI

That is really a rather unsatisfying answer.  I just encounter the same problem this week and was frustrated that I could not the contents of a journal into JMP Public/JMP Live.  In my case the situation was that I had made a custom report window with several "touchy" non-linear model fits, and then journaled the report.  I wanted to share the results of the journal with some collaborators that don't have JMP.  JMP Public would have been a perfect way to do that.  

mzwald
Staff

@MathStatChem
Instead of putting the results of your reports into a journal, publish them directly to an interactive web report which could then be shared on JMP Live.
Kelly
Level III

The problem with the dashboard for me personally is that the scripting is not as versatile as the journal. It requires everything to be defined upfront, then put into position using organize/reparent, and then given its attributes.

I recently converted a dashboard script to a journal script and the journal had 1/4 the lines of code and was much cleaner. For dashboard if I wanted 5 buttons I would have to create them one at a time. For the journal I can create and define button functions for all of them within one for loop. Its hard to use something else when the journal is so much better.
mzwald
Staff

@Kelly
Out of curiosity, have you tried the publish web report feature? And if so, is there a particular reason why you would prefer a journal/dashboard over it?
Kelly
Level III

My understanding was that you were referring to a dashboard when you said interactive web report. I know dashboard as interactive html so I assumed they were the same. I just looked it up and web report is amazing. Thanks for sharing!
MathStatChem
Level VI

Yes, I know that, but in the situation I described I had journaled the results and then closed the report window.  To go back a recreate the report window would have taken a lot of time, as it contained 50 different non-linear model fits in a customized report window I created with JSL, and I couldn't just "save script" and rerun the script for all of those results, as for each non-linear fit you have to go in, check the results, modify starting conditions or paramter bounds, and do extra work to get a good fit in many situations.    

Additionally, I can come up with a number other reasons that I'd want to share a Journal in JMP Live:

1) simplicity of layout:

Compare these two layouts of JMP results.  The one on the left is the report window, the one on the right is a Journal that I have rearranged the output into a more "rectangular" and wider view.  Most displays are wide, not tall, and JMP reports tend to be tall, not wide.   In addition, I've change the order of some of the content and deleted things that I don't want to show.

Tall JMP Report.jpgJournal Simple Wide.jpg

2) many people use Journals to help with standardized workflows

3) Journals are easy to edit and modify with using JSL