cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Morten
Level II

How do I make a graph with secondary x-axis?

I want to make a plot of two data series with overlayed x-axes. How is this possible in JMP? It is easily done in MS Excel - see below and attached.

Plot.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: How do I make a graph with secondary x-axis?

@Morten ,

You can easily do that in JMP. If you wanted to do that using a script, here is an example: 

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
gb1 = dt << Graph Builder(Variables( X( :sex ), X( :age, Position( 1 ) ), Y( :height ) ),
			  Elements( Points( X( 1 ), X( 2 ), Y, Legend( 24 ) ) )
			 );

If you wanted to use the interactive platform, just drop a variable on the x-axis . Then bring the second variable and hover it on the x-axis, JMP will tell you what will happen depending on where you drop it . 

Best
Uday
Morten
Level II

No, unfortunately this is not what I want. Your solution gives me a "nested" x-axis, i.e. in reality two x-axes next to each other. I want them stacked, i.e. both scales span left to right once and each curve is represented by its own axis. Actually, I ask for the very same concept as a secondary y-axis. It just seems not to exist for an x-axis in JMP.

txnelson
Super User

I believe your assessment is correct.  I do not think there currently is a way to generate a second X Axis.  It is a great idea, so I encourage you to add it to the JMP Wish List.

Jim
HydroBug
Level II

A bit late (4 years), I had a similar problem, mine was different time steps but the same scale, and it can be done. If you are using graph builder, drag both variables that you want into the x-axis:

2023-08-24 (4).png

Then, right click the data points on the graph where you want to change the x-axis to display the following menu, just select the variable that you want to use for the x-axis.  In my case, I had a daily and a weekly time scale.

2023-08-24 (2).png

For different scales you can merge the axes.