cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
Morten
Level II

How do I make a graph with secondary x-axis?

I want to make a plot of two data series with overlayed x-axes. How is this possible in JMP? It is easily done in MS Excel - see below and attached.

Plot.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
uday_guntupalli
Level VIII

Re: How do I make a graph with secondary x-axis?

@Morten ,

You can easily do that in JMP. If you wanted to do that using a script, here is an example: 

dt = Open( "$SAMPLE_DATA/Big Class.jmp" );
gb1 = dt << Graph Builder(Variables( X( :sex ), X( :age, Position( 1 ) ), Y( :height ) ),
			  Elements( Points( X( 1 ), X( 2 ), Y, Legend( 24 ) ) )
			 );

If you wanted to use the interactive platform, just drop a variable on the x-axis . Then bring the second variable and hover it on the x-axis, JMP will tell you what will happen depending on where you drop it . 

Best
Uday
Morten
Level II

No, unfortunately this is not what I want. Your solution gives me a "nested" x-axis, i.e. in reality two x-axes next to each other. I want them stacked, i.e. both scales span left to right once and each curve is represented by its own axis. Actually, I ask for the very same concept as a secondary y-axis. It just seems not to exist for an x-axis in JMP.

txnelson
Super User

I believe your assessment is correct.  I do not think there currently is a way to generate a second X Axis.  It is a great idea, so I encourage you to add it to the JMP Wish List.

Jim
HydroBug
Level II

A bit late (4 years), I had a similar problem, mine was different time steps but the same scale, and it can be done. If you are using graph builder, drag both variables that you want into the x-axis:

2023-08-24 (4).png

Then, right click the data points on the graph where you want to change the x-axis to display the following menu, just select the variable that you want to use for the x-axis.  In my case, I had a daily and a weekly time scale.

2023-08-24 (2).png

For different scales you can merge the axes.