cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How do I include the dialog box ´Recode column names' in jsl script or a function that does something similar.

Hi Community

I'm building a script in JMP 15 that imports data and performs a rough clean-up. In the process I need to convert a string of identifiers in a single columns (e.g. string; Trial_Replicate_DrugConcentration_Patient) to multiple columns using the text to columns() function and separation based on "_". This provides me with the desired columns, although without column header. Ideally I wan't the script to open up the 'Recode column names' dialog box so the user can set the names as needed. I would prefer a dialog box option if possible, to make the script easy to handle for inexperienced JMP users and making it usable for other strings as well. But I have not been able to find a way to open the dialog box through scripting - ala. Open()

I'm open to other suggestions

Thanks in advance!

Jakob

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Re: How do I include the dialog box ´Recode column names' in jsl script or a function that does something similar.

You could examine the first row in the original column with the Words() function and obtain the number of columns to be named. You could then present a simple dialog with a string column edit box for the user to input their choice of names. You could optionally provide the values in that first row as a guide to the meaning of the columns.

View solution in original post

txnelson
Super User

Re: How do I include the dialog box ´Recode column names' in jsl script or a function that does something similar.

You can access the Recode Column Names through the Main Menu() function.   

main menu("recode column names")
Jim

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

You could examine the first row in the original column with the Words() function and obtain the number of columns to be named. You could then present a simple dialog with a string column edit box for the user to input their choice of names. You could optionally provide the values in that first row as a guide to the meaning of the columns.

Thanks for the quick reply. It is a really good suggestion which makes automation more feasible. I'll try and adopt this approach over time as my newbie JSL skills develop

txnelson
Super User

You can access the Recode Column Names through the Main Menu() function.   

main menu("recode column names")
Jim

Really simple solution. I will settle for this solution until my JSL skills develop further