cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Submit your abstract to the call for content for Discovery Summit Americas by April 23. Selected abstracts will be presented at Discovery Summit, Oct. 21- 24.
Discovery is online this week, April 16 and 18. Join us for these exciting interactive sessions.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
thurnay_s
Level I

How do I graph multiple response columns correctly?

Hi,

I have a table looking at how users return to a product over time. I can do this in columns for each week, error bars for each column - perfect.

I now want to look at subgroups of users that did or didn't do a specifc activity. I use the activity as an overlay, again no problem.

But now I'd like to compare different activities - which one(s) help most to boost retention.

I've created a single column that reports all of the activities as multiple response  - most people only have one, but a few have several activities. When I use this variable in a graph, I get a seperate group for each possible combination - useless. I need a group for each activity, and yes, the groups will overlap, i.e. the same person show up multiple times.

the best i can do is create a dashboard that shows the individual graphs side by side, but that's still awkward to compare. I want just the "yes" bars together in one graph...

Any idea how I could do this?

Thanks!

Susanne

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dale_lehman
Level VII

Re: How do I graph multiple response columns correctly?

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I stacked the activity columns and it seems to be able to show the number of people engaged in each activity (even with overlaps).  I believe stacking those columns is what you want to do. See attached (and script for an initial graph).

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
melinda_thielba
Staff (Retired)

Hi, Susanne!

There are some automatic charts in the Categorical platform that might help you out. Here's a script with some basic ideas:

Categorical(
	Grouping Option( Both ),
	X( :Week, :Name( "Returned?" ) ),
	Multiple Delimited( :Name( "Used any?" ) ),
	Legend( 0 ),
	SendToReport(
		Dispatch(
			{},
			"Multiple Delimited( Used any? ) By Week*Returned?",
			OutlineBox,
			{Close( 1 )}
		)
	)
)

Here's a description of the charts: 

http://www.jmp.com/support/help/The_Categorical_Report.shtml#134897

And a description of the "Multiple Delimited" responses:

http://www.jmp.com/support/help/Example_of_the_Categorical_Platform.shtml#129405

dale_lehman
Level VII

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I stacked the activity columns and it seems to be able to show the number of people engaged in each activity (even with overlaps).  I believe stacking those columns is what you want to do. See attached (and script for an initial graph).