cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
SimonFuchs
Level III

How do I deal with lack of fit data if they actually looking good in the surdface profiler and actual by predicted plot

Dear JMP Pros,

I have a dataset (See attachment) with two discrete factors (X_1 and X_2) and after model running, the fit looks good in the actual by predicted as well as in the surface profiler. However, I have a significant lack of fit here. 

I am wondering what the reason is here and how do I deal with this dataset? Can I still use and believe the fit? Please note, that I had to use the discrete set of factors here instead of an textbook DoE.

Thanks for your help here,

Best regards,

Simon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SimonFuchs
Level III

Re: How do I deal with lack of fit data if they actually looking good in the surdface profiler and actual by predicted plot

Hi SDF1,

thanks a lot for your answer! I just wanted to ask, where I can see/analyze that I dont have enough replicated entries for X_1? 

It would be great to realize this in advance, before I start the measurement and also see this in the fit least square analysis panel.

Thanks for your jelp here and yes the factor combination makes sense in this case.

Best regards

Simon

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
SDF1
Super User

Re: How do I deal with lack of fit data if they actually looking good in the surdface profiler and actual by predicted plot

Hi @SimonFuchs ,

You can read more about the lack of fit test for regression analysis here. I think the problem with the lack of fit test is that you don't have enough replicated entries for the inputs X_1 and X_2. Your data set only contains 2, rows 6 and 10. And, since the response you've measured X_3 and X_6 have basically identical values (for those runs), then JMP is having a hard time reporting the statistics for the lack of fit test. If you were truly replicating DOE runs, then by regular Gaussian noise, you should have responses that differ, even if just in the noise of the measurement system.

You can test this by adding a few new rows that have the exact same pairs of X_1 and X_2, but then enter slightly different values for the response, X_3. If you re-run the model on this new data, then you'll see that JMP calculates the lack of fit as you would expect. If you can afford to replicate the entire DOE, then I would highly recommend doing that.

One thing I noticed about the models is that factor X_1 plays a less important role (for the X_3 response) than the cross term X_1*X_2, or even the second order effect X_2*X_2. Indeed, the role of X_1 alone is not a significant factor, although when crossed with X_2, you get a pretty important term. I could see this happening with something like a catalyst. The catalyst by itself won't drive the reaction, but when mixed with the right ingredient, it can drive a reaction very efficiently. Does your specific setup make sense to have the factors ordered as they are? If not, do you need to rethink the model and the terms you are adding to it?

Hope this helps,

DS

SimonFuchs
Level III

Hi SDF1,

thanks a lot for your answer! I just wanted to ask, where I can see/analyze that I dont have enough replicated entries for X_1? 

It would be great to realize this in advance, before I start the measurement and also see this in the fit least square analysis panel.

Thanks for your jelp here and yes the factor combination makes sense in this case.

Best regards

Simon