cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JMP is taking Discovery online, April 16 and 18. Register today and join us for interactive sessions featuring popular presentation topics, networking, and discussions with the experts.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar
caseylott
Level IV

How do I add the percent total value as a text label on a Tree Map?

Hi everyone,

This seems like it should be a very easy thing to do, but I can't figure out how to add the percent total value (which is available on the hover tip) as a text label (under the exact value label) in each panel of the actual Tree Map. I'd like to do this so that I can share static charts with people who don't have JMP and can't use the hover tip. Thanks for any solutions.

3 REPLIES 3

Re: How do I add the percent total value as a text label on a Tree Map?

If you use the Tree Map element in Graph Builder, you can set the Summary Statistic to % of Total and turn on the Size Value label.

caseylott
Level IV

Thanks, Paul. That definitely works to change the displayed metric. I think I probably didn't state my original problem clearly. I'd like to be able to display BOTH the sum and the percent total in each treemap cell, since both are important for this audience. My hover tip includes both, stacked on top of each other, but I can't get both to display at the same time in the graph. I tried adding my y variable twice, sending one instance to the right axis, and then specifying summary statistic as Sum for the left axis and % total for the right axis. This created two different properties boxes in the control panel, which I thought was encouraging, but I still couldn't figure out how to display both metrics. I've included a screen shot with some annotation to clarify what I am trying to acheive.  

I can see how that would be useful. There isn't a direct way to do that currently. I will look into that as a feature for a future release.

In the meantime, you could try this. Not sure if it will work for your data or if the current color coding is important.

1. Create a new continuous column and fill the entire column with the value 1.

2. Place the new column in the color role.

3. Right click on the color role and select Summary Statistic -> % of Total

4. In the properties pane, enable both the color and size labels.

See the attached screenshot. Hope this helps.