cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Register for our Discovery Summit 2024 conference, Oct. 21-24, where you’ll learn, connect, and be inspired.
Choose Language Hide Translation Bar

How can I reverse the axis of this ternary plot in JMP?

Dear JMP experts, 

I am making a ternary plot in JMP and want to reverse all axes. Unfortunately, the reverse order option is blocked in this setting. Do you know how I can fix this?. Thank you in advance. 

2 REPLIES 2

Re: How can I reverse the axis of this ternary plot in JMP?

This request does not make sense to me. Consider an example like yours, but with the labels of A, B, and C for the components.

Dan_Obermiller_1-1725897794808.png

The very top vertex is A=0, B=1, and C=0. If I could reverse the B axis, the top would now be A=?, B=0, C=?.  What should A and C? They can't be zero anymore as A and C will need to add to 1. There are an infinite number of combinations. So, you want to show all of them, right? Well, that will be the very bottom of the graph where B is already at 0.

Ultimately, the ternary graph takes into account that the components add to 1. Reversing the axes would break that constraint.

Please explain further on what you are trying to do, as I feel that I am missing something.

Dan Obermiller
Victor_G
Super User

Re: How can I reverse the axis of this ternary plot in JMP?

Hi @danghuyenchau89,

As @Dan_Obermiller has explained, there are some "rules" behind a Ternary plot to make sure the mixture constraint is preserved, so it is not possible to change the axis. See previous post Terneary plot - scale - reverse order 

However, if you want to change the order of the components displayed in the plot, you can change it quite easily depending on the order of introduction of the variables in the launch window :

Here is the "standard order" and resulting Ternary plot :

Victor_G_0-1725954527071.png

If I want to have X1 on the left, X2 on the right and X3 at the bottom, the order should be :

Victor_G_1-1725954728264.png

First variable is bottom axis, second one is on the left axis, and third variable is on the right.

I hope this answer might help you,

Victor GUILLER
Scientific Expertise Engineer
L'Oréal - Data & Analytics